Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Anyone bought a guitar that was ...

What's Hot
Cheap so you just thought fuck it ill buy it even though you don't need it or even know why you are buying it...??
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Many, MANY times.
    Everything is normal.

Just put the kettle on and relax.
    :)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Yep.

I bought a Vintage Zip about a month ago. It's really cool but I have absolutely no "need" for it and I've barely played it. 

I might set it up in something like C standard, just for something different. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840

I bought a Vintage Zip about a month ago. It's really cool but I have absolutely no "need" for it and I've barely played it.  
    I've got a Zip languishing in back of a cupboard like a ginger-haired orphan.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1707
    edited November 2017
    I too have a Zip i bought off  Gumtree for 30 quid .l lOOOOOv e it .At present it haa a single alnico strat pickup in it  of dubious parentage
    I also just bought a lawsuit les paul for a fiver ,covered in snot and stickers and a tuner missing .it came with a Morley power boost and wah .I have them both working and sold the wah .I found a correct  tuner on ebay  which was lucky to say the least .I have the LP working though I think the  switch may be dodgy or just need a clean .Sounds OK but the bridge pickup is very bright .Necks rather nice for bluesy jazz .Single coils in humbucker casings, 500K pots ,which may well explain some of the brightness.Work in progress .
    Forgot to add the lawsuit was found at the  local recycling centre shop .
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Too often.
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    I bought a £15 3/4 scale nylon strung from Home Bargains. It actually sounds ok and the action ain't too bad. Great for noodling on while the kettle's boiling.
  • Oh yeah, I have been working on the concept of not going into a pawn shop or 2nd hand store just because it's on the way to where I'm going, but they keep putting guitars in the window!

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

rossi said:
    I too have a Zip i bought off  Gumtree for 30 quid .l lOOOOOv e it .At present it haa a single alnico strat pickup in it  of dubious parentage
    I also just bought a lawsuit les paul for a fiver ,covered in snot and stickers and a tuner missing .it came with a Morley power boost and wah .I have them both working and sold the wah .I found a correct  tuner on ebay  which was lucky to say the least .I have the LP working though I think the  switch may be dodgy or just need a clean .Sounds OK but the bridge pickup is very bright .Necks rather nice for bluesy jazz .Single coils in humbucker casings, 500K pots ,which may well explain some of the brightness.Work in progress .
    Those Japanese single coils in HB casing rock in the right hands.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    AlexC said:
    I bought a £15 3/4 scale nylon strung from Home Bargains. It actually sounds ok and the action ain't too bad. Great for noodling on while the kettle's boiling.
    Couldn't you just buy a Quick-boil kettle?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1707
    edited November 2017
    I forgot my 5 quid 12 string spanish off Gumtree .Such excitment .It plays oK and needs new strings .Its got a 'photoflame top that some dickhead has epoxied something to and left the glue after he removed it so its never going to look good but its fun and  sound ok ish .New strings will help ...ha ha .My wife who says I have too many guitars keeps finding them for me bless her .
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    No. Never.

Honestly.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @rossi you win the Bargain Hunter prize!
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Yes! One was a 2015 LP DC - as soon as I got it out of the case and played a chord and I was like naaaah. Then it was a 2010 LP Junior - played a chord and again I was like naaaah.

I should really learn. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    The majority of my purchases have been opportunistic. Sometimes I buy a guitar that I already have because it’s so cheap.

The way I see it if I can guarantee to get my money back when I sell it, there’s nothing to lose.
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    Cheap so you just thought fuck it ill buy it even though you don't need it or even know why you are buying it...??
    Yep I can’t even walk past a charity shop with out being tempted to buy the cheap guitar in the window. Even if I have no need for it. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23185
    Too many times to count.  But I've stopped now.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72685
    Yes, almost always. If it's that cheap - assuming it's not just a total piece of cheap tat and is priced correctly - I can always re-sell it at a profit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Philly_Q said:
    Too many times to count.  But I've stopped now.
    I’ve stopped too.  
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3062
    Yep. Mexican Strat. Being sold for £385 at the time and they played so much better than the price tag suggested. Shame they're overpriced now.

Also, Ibanez SZ320. Bought it for £199 used and that too was a very solid guitar punch well above itself.
  • Yup. More times than I'd like to admit. 
    I had 13 guitars at one point, all were "bargains" and "great for the money". 
    I eventually realised that I only "need" one guitar. I now have just two- I'm still regularly tempted by cheap stuff on here or Facebook.