SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

FS: FRIEDMAN 212EXT mint, JJ-100 sold, BE412 sold (long and pic heavy thread)

Frankel84Frankel84 Frets: 102
edited November 2017 in Amps £
Those of you that have been following my journey this year through Friedman's product range probably thought I'd reached my destination with the modded JJ. Me too! Then up pops a Butterslax on this 'ere forum and releases the moths from my wallet. Again. Funny thing is, I'm no metaller, I play indie through classic rock. But these amps are so well designed and engineered they cover way more bases than their reputation (or youtube vids) would suggest.

Anyway, let's get the the introduction out of the way with "Hello, my name's Frankel84 and I'm a Friedmanaholic!" Right, that's the 'first step', here's the second...

Lastly (for now!) is the 212EXT cab, once again in perfect shop fresh condition. I've played this quite a bit, so it's well on its way to being broken in. The real genius in this design is the tuned rear port. I find V30s alone too harsh, but the port lets them breathe and smooths out the gnarliness that V30 cabs usually suffer from. Obviously much more grab'n'go than the 4x12 and that port offers near as dammit the same sound dispersion as the 4. Truly great cab for £400 firm collected.

I've now had a chance to thoroughly A/B both amps at volume in a studio and the verdict's in. Unsurprisingly... they're both absolutely mighty! I'd love to keep both, but the truth is as different as they are, they're not quite different enough for me to justify keeping both. Nor can my bank account, alas.

SOLD So based on the tried and tested method of flicking a coin, up for grabs is a 2015 JJ-100 Jerry Cantrell head. Has the Dave Friedman mod which makes the the JBE switch on the back selectable by footswitch, with its own gain and master on the front. This turns the JJ into a three channel amp. The mod was fitted by Dan Gower (well known around these parts) in August 2016. For those not familiar with the minutae of the JJ, Jerry worked for months with DF to fine-tune the BE-100 platform to suit his particular requirements. So the clean channel has a mid control in addition to bass and treble, a 3 position bright switch and has been voiced for rich and chewy Vox-esque tones. It stays clean pretty much all the way up and makes a perfect pedal platform for say a fuzz or vintage flavoured drive.

The BE and JBE channels share an EQ, but the difference in gain structure and voicing between them is so perfectly designed that the shared EQ is no compromise whatsoever. Don't be afraid of dialling back the gain, this amp is as happy playing on-the-edge crunch as it is the sledgehammer drive it's renowned for. You could even flip the channels and use the JBE for crunch and BE for lead, such is the flexibility of the added gain/MV controls.

Also, the effects return level has been moved to the front panel to act as a global master, a much more elegant solution than the BE or SS. So you can balance your three channels to taste and then bring up the overall level to match the space you're in. The Slax can't do that, rather frustratingly.

Amp supplied with its original one button footswitch, so you'll need a 2 button switch (not supplied) using a stereo TRS cord to switch the channels remotely. The channel switch on the faceplate has been replaced with a 3 position as part of the mod, rendering the JBE switch on the back redundant. Amp is mint, shop fresh and boxed. I can ship this UK mainland, but please be aware, all couriers have changed their T&Cs regarding guitar amps, so although you can insure the full value for loss, the maximum available for damage (which unfortunately is much more likely than a total loss) is £200. Probably enough for a dry joint or two, but certainly not enough for a cracked headshell or smashed trannie. Price includes free UK shipping WITHOUT insurance. If you require insurance it will be at extra cost depending on how much cover you want. £2350 SOLD on t'bay

SOLD Next up is the BE412 in matching vintage fretcloth to the JJ. Cab is three years old and has been well used by a pro previous to me. The vinyl has some slight scuffs and grazes, especially on the base, but nothing through to wood. The benefit of it having been so well used is that the speakers have been fantastically broken in and sound absolutely amazing. 2 Greenbacks in the top, 2 V30s in the bottom, which is a superb combination. The V30s handle the top and bottom end, the greens fill in all the complex mids. Heavenly, the best cab I've heard. Better still, the cab has Mesa Track-Loc casters, which are the best in the business. Simply slide them out of their baseplate if you want the cab on the floor. Half tempted to keep this one for out and about and keep the mint Slax cab for best. Depends on what else sells I suppose. Collection only on this. J10 of the M1. £550 SOLD 

Deals to be done on head with a cab. Further pics on request. I shot every angle but this post's already a little, ahem... lardy. Soz.

“Don't bore us, get to the chorus!”
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I really liked the two Butterslax I owned.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @rockmonster It seems to be the Friedman way to have owned every model twice! ;)

No kidding I was scared of the Slax! But it's way more flexible than I thought possible. Lovin' it! Well until one of you fine gents sticks a BE50 Deluxe on the classifieds next year!
  • JJ sold (wish I had 10 of 'em!) and BE412 sold too.

Mint 2x12 still available.