Intermittent buzzing on my board..

skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
Hope you guys can help! 

So I’ve got a Boss Tu-3 into a Boss Oc-3 into a Tone City angel wing, into the front of a Katana 50. 

Each of the 3 pedals is powered by its own boss PSA, and those 3 PSA’s are plugged into a 6 way mains extension, which also has the amp plugged into. 
(But I dont think thats the problem). 

A while ago I noticed a buzzing/crackling when the guitars plugged in and amp turned on etc. I literally just wiggled the 2 patch cables a little as a first port of call, and when I moved the 2nd patch cable between the oc-3 and Angel wing, the noise went away and all is good. 

These patch cables are the ernie ball ones. I had a spare because they come in 3’s and I only need 2, so i swapped it out believing the patch cable was at fault. Either way, all was good for a while. 

But today I noticed when I stomped on the Angel wing to turn it on, it crackled slightly, which it doesnt usually do, which led me to stop playing and listen. (This is on a clean channel by the way).

So I switched to the high gain channel (cos that makes these things easier to hear right?) and lo and behold theres a buzzing coming through the amp which remains even if the guitar volume is turned all the way down. Not the normal hiss from a gained up amp, because I noticed it didnt sound normal pretty instantaneously. 

So I wiggled the patch cable between Oc-3 and Angel wing and it goes away again.. Kinda confirms then it wasnt the original patch cable at fault right?

While I was there I pushed all cables about a bit, made sure they were in properly, and when I pushed the guitar lead (fender custom shop tweed jobbie) into the Tu-3, and at the same time pushed the patch cable into the tu-3’s out, (both cables were already all the way in anyway, I just gave them a push to make sure), I heard a crackly sound through the amp.. So I pulled the guitar lead out of the tu-3 completely, and re-inserted it, and no crackling was apparant for the rest of the eve, even when I touched/pushed the jacks all home again after. All is well again. 

I’m unsure if those 2 problems are related, or if there is something up with the angel wings input jack, or patch cable between the Oc-3 out and Angel wing in?

Or if my cables just sometimes dont make full contact inside the jacks (angel wings input socket, and Tu-3’s input socket), which means a wiggle about of the cables fixes it. 

Its odd, all this gear is less than 7 months old, most of it is more like 4. 
The only easy day, was yesterday...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    dirty socket comes to mind. Give it a squirt with some contact cleaner.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    My prime suspect would be the Fender custom shop lead. They're terrible, the plugs are junk.
    Otherwise, some of the input sockets are dirty or not connecting properly. Try tightening (gently) up any that seem loose.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Ah ok! Cheers guys. 

Ill give the sockets a look then. 
    Do does the outside nut make electrical connections too as well as obviously hold the socket in place?
    (every days a school day for me haha) 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...