Asking for a CITES update

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• My main concern would be if the US builder used vintage correct old stock Brazilian seems to loads laying around the US. Then you can move it anywhere out of the US as no permit can be used and lots of US repro builders use old growth brazzie
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I would also make sure the builder has experience of shipping and uses a good shipper he trusts. As order some stuff from the US United States postal service lost it for 6 week handed it to parcel farce who then kept it in customs or should I say in prep for customs for close to 4 weeks.

if you are spending real wedge over 6 k say I would jump a cheap flight and hand collect less hassle.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5434
    My main concern would be if the US builder used vintage correct old stock Brazilian seems to loads laying around the US. Then you can move it anywhere out of the US as no permit can be used and lots of US repro builders use old growth brazzie
    Huh? Braz without papers/permits cannot legally be moved across borders no matter how old it is. 
  • Bloody autocorrect should of read can't be moved.
    thanks for correcting the auto correction.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the insight guys. Seriously thinking of flying over there to hand collect and bring back. It's a 59 Les Paul replica with all the good stuff including Brazilian rosewood
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5434
    monoamine said:
    Thanks for the insight guys. Seriously thinking of flying over there to hand collect and bring back. It's a 59 Les Paul replica with all the good stuff including Brazilian rosewood
    Still illegal of course if it has no CITES passport. Would be at your own risk I guess. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14310
    edited November 2017 tFB Trader
    Whitecat said:
    monoamine said:
    Thanks for the insight guys. Seriously thinking of flying over there to hand collect and bring back. It's a 59 Les Paul replica with all the good stuff including Brazilian rosewood
    Still illegal of course if it has no CITES passport. Would be at your own risk I guess. 

http://guitar-auctions.co.uk/rosewood-cites/

this might help you
  • In parallel to the discussion, text lifted from George Jone's facebook (Micky Jone's son, MAN band)

After much thought, I’ve made the decision to retire Micky’s 61’ Fender Stratocaster....
    As well as it’s historical significance, it’s an incredibly delicate guitar, made with materials that are no longer “permitted”.
    Touring it and taking it abroad would be impossible without the appropriate permits, many name players are replacing the necks on vintage guitars to maple in accordance with the laws on transportation, this would not be an option, I would rather it stay in its original state.
    A guitar is meant to be played, and it will be, but not in this capacity, I’ll continue to use it for studio and special occasions, with the MAN 50th anniversary around the corner I’m sure it will make an appearance.
    I’m very grateful to Jeff Beer and Gary Lewis who did some fabulous work on the 61’, it was in a real state, but with their expertise it looked and sounded better than ever....a huge thankyou to David Mead, Joby Sessions and Jamie Dickson for giving it a lovely write up in Guitarist Magazine where it stood pride of place.
    My father put his blood sweat and tears in this Guitar, when you open the case you can smell the sweaty bars and smoky clubs and halls, it was made at a time when care and attention was paid, it really is a work of art and if it stays on the road any longer it will lose that mojo and simply become unusable
    This was the Guitar that inspired me to start playing, in August 1993 MAN played the Heineken Festival in Singleton Park. Micky was mid-solo in “C’mon”.
    I watched him and thought to myself.....”that’s what I want to do”
    Then the power cut-out and the show was over, rock and roll eh! It didn’t matter, I had caught the bug and any chance I had, I picked up that guitar at every opportunity, when I was allowed of course! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom