Two Helix related questions

What's Hot
revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
Me and my son are pretty much convinced we're getting a Helix to add to our arsenal.

The (very helpful and friendly) guy at PMT in Southend yesterday was trying to convince us that we should opt for a pair of RCF ART 712-A (£489 each) speakers in preference to a pair of Yamaha DXR12 (£625 each).  We'd be using them initially for bedroom practice, but want something that would be usable in a band.  I'm irrationally convinced a 12 inch speaker is a good and necessary thing.  Does anyone have any advice to give please?

Also, I think we need a case for the Helix.  Possibly for carrying it on a train, but also for practices and maybe one day gigging.  I've seen a variety of soft and hard cases.  Does anyone have any insight or practical experience please?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    edited November 2017
    You really don’t want the DXR12’s... as mighty as they are they’re very bass heavy (for FRFR purposes... they’re killer for PA) and totally overkill for the home environment. I’d opt for a DXR10, or two if you must. A single DXR10 is plenty loud enough for gigging in a loud band. Consider also some of the Alto offerings... TS210 is well regarded and I use a TS208 as my on stage monitor.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    And case wise, consider the L6 Helix backpack. Yeah, it’s spendy but I have no regrets in buying mine... it’s very well padded and offers plenty of storage.
  • I’ve compared my previous QSC with 8” speaker against my CLR and they’re very close, the best setting on the QSC was actually cutting the lows even more via DSP. I don’t see the need to go bigger than 8” my POV only of course.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    I recently bought a dxr10 to try frfr and maybe use as a monitor. There's tons of low end and it's very loud. I've not tried the dxr12 but have heard that it's too bassy for guitar.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7463
    imho you don't need the 12 - they are much heavier and these are not guitar drivers - the 10 has easily enough low end to 'be' a guitar amp

I have a DXR10 and chose it after trying out a whole bunch of speakers in Andertons (although not the RCF) 

Unless you are aiming at a stereo setup 2 is overkill too (but I'd love it from a sound point of view in stereo :-)  ) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7463
    re bag/case:

if you just need to transport it then I can recommend the Novation 25key keyboard backpack.

If you need rugged protection then Thomann do an inexpensive flight case for it 
    Red ones are better. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28415
    Not for live use, but I went for Eris e8s for my Helix; they push at least as much bass as did my 1x12 Cornell and 2x10 MJW. PA12s would be massively over-bassy.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
    simonk said:
    And case wise, consider the L6 Helix backpack. Yeah, it’s spendy but I have no regrets in buying mine... it’s very well padded and offers plenty of storage.
    We bought this. =)
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    ^^did you buy a Helix as well ? :lol:
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Another vote for the DXR10