Can we ban 'Feeder'?!

What's Hot
Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
I always get them mixed up with Wheatus. Gets right on my thrupney bits it does.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    edited August 2013
    Is he a member on here too?

;)
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5078
    jaygtr said:
    Is he a member on here too?

;)
    Lol!
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Oi, watch your mouth!

Feeder are fucking brilliant (and don't sound much like Wheatus at all).

Echo Park was the first album I ever really got into, basically got me into rock music.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72736
    edited August 2013
    I like Feeder a lot too, but it's still a crap band name!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27320
    Great live band. Saw them at Glasto 2003 in the rain. Right at the front and the moment they said "This is the last song- Buck Rogers!", got kicked in the head by EVERY 14 YEAR OLD CROWD SURFER IN THE WORLD.

And they did have a bit of every-song-sounds-the-same-syndrome after Comfort In Sound, but a cracking band on a good day
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28824
    I really liked the first two albums. They got a bit too soft and flabby after that - still a decent enough pop band but much less interesting post-Polythene.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17702
    tFB Trader
    They were a good band until they decided to try and melt the sounds of the Foo Fighters and Coldplay into a weird rocking yet bland concoction. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

I only like the demos they did when they were called Reel, after that they lost it. [/pissing contest]

:O)
    edited August 2013
    monquixote;16140" said:
    They were a good band until they decided to try and melt the sounds of the Foo Fighters and Coldplay into a weird rocking yet bland concoction. 
    He said the C word! Watch it, Feeder don't like that comparison...

I much prefer them to either of those bands, to be honest.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited August 2013
    ICBM;16168" said: 
    He said the C word! Watch it, Feeder don't like that comparison...

I much prefer them to either of those bands, to be honest.

+1

I'm not too familiar with their later stuff admittedly - I like the earlier stuff. Echo Park is probably one of my favourite albums.
    edited August 2013
    Double post, ignore me.

I've got all the albums up to Silent Cry, they're all good. (No reason other than just never got around to buying the two after that.) I agree they got a bit more commercial after Comfort In Sound, but I often take commercial to mean "good music that a lot of people like" rather than necessarily bland and contrived.

I agree they haven't developed their sound massively, but how many bands do really?

edited August 2013
    ICBM said:
    I agree they haven't developed their sound massively, but how many bands do really?
    Metallica... they developed massively up to the early 90s, then kept developing and developing until it was shite.

In a more extreme vein, The Faceless have come on leaps and bounds - from rather boring, over-produced weedly-weedly tech death (with good solos) to their latest album, "Autotheism", which is a well-written, superbly-played, progressive album (with great solos) - lots of genuinely memorable moments... not what you'd call "catchy" but you know. In fact, it was one of the best albums I heard last year.

Compare this, from 2008:

With this, from 2012:

Once you get past the brutal double-kick intro of the more recent song (my least favourite bit actually), the rest of the song is just SO much better. Lots more clean vocals, a lot more actual melodies to remember... And the solo at the end just beggars belief.

Not sure where I'm going with this, just trying to illustrate my response a little I guess.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27320
    I like Coldplay. I don't care if they're commercial, that's just hipster speak for popular as far as I'm concerned. 

"How dare they do massive tours to millions of people and make them happy with their music and try really hard to be good at doing all that?" 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2938
    Feeder were the first band I saw live, I think it was the Comfort In Sound tour I saw them on. Songs like "Seven Days in the Sun" make me go all nostalgic...
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    @Bucket, you're getting very sweary!  :-O
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3012
    It's not actually the bands fault but I utterly utterly hate them because I once had to do a standby stint lasting a fortnight on the Frankfurt motorshow.

Okay so what the feck's that got to do with Feeder ? I hear you ask.

Well my control position in the mains room was by the wall and on the otherside of this 'wall' (basically ply with a 2"x1" frame) was a 27"LCD screen running a 30 second promo loop for the Ford KA.

The music for the promo was Buck Rogers starting from the very beginning going as far as

"He's got a brand new car.
    He's got a brand new car (I know the lyric actually goes 'looks like a Jaguar but being the Ford stand they re-edited it)
    It's got leather seats,
    It's got a CD player player player player"

back to the start of the loop and play agai, and again and again and again

From 08:00 in the morning till 20:00hrs at night.

For 2 weeks...

I'm fairly sure that waterboarding is only marginally more cruel.
    ddlooping said:
    @Bucket, you're getting very sweary!  :-O
    Am I?

Am I so desensitised that I'm not noticing it in my post above, or is this a general thing? :D
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28824
    I'm pretty sure Buck Rogers is their worst song.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17702
    tFB Trader
    I like Coldplay. I don't care if they're commercial, that's just hipster speak for popular as far as I'm concerned. 

"How dare they do massive tours to millions of people and make them happy with their music and try really hard to be good at doing all that?" 
    I don't dislike Coldplay I just think Feeder were better at being Feeder rather than the Coldfighters or Fooplay.