I am Les Paul hunting what could I get for my money?

What's Hot
adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
I will have a budget of £1500ish shortly, don't really want to go higher than that.

I've seen used Les Paul standards go usually for £1000-1500 upwards.
got my eye on a 2009 one which is really nice.

But what else do you think might be possible in this price range? too low for Les Paul custom? the seem nearer the £1800 mark.

Alternatively I've seen old melody makers, perhaps an old SG junior.

This isn't a post to see what you have for sale :) I'll do that when I am ready to spend in the right place.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• If a Custom is what you *really* want and you're:

a. In no hurry (it sounds like you aren't) and
    b. Are happy to consider Norlin-era examples or those which have had repairs (eg. headstock breaks)

...then it is definitely possible, given time and luck.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited November 2017
    For £1500 you can currently get a brand new 2017 Traditional from loads of places. 2017 standards are not much more. (Although imho not as good as the traditionals!)

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448

If a Custom is what you *really* want and you're:

a. In no hurry (it sounds like you aren't) and
    b. Are happy to consider Norlin-era examples or those which have had repairs (eg. headstock breaks)

...then it is definitely possible, given time and luck.

I am not 100% sure yet. I think I may go for a standard/similar for now. custom later. 
    For £1500 you can currently get a brand new 2017 Traditional from loads of places. 2017 standards are not much more. (Although imho not as good as the traditionals!)
    this is also a good option. I am not too fond of the 2017 colours. but I really liked the 2016 traditional honeyburst.

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Or..

You could get a strat? 

Then you don't have to go through the whole owning a les paul thing!

;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14291
    tFB Trader
    A Custom and Standard are similar but different - not in a better/worse way - just different so try both if you can before spending - obvious difference is gold hardware, more elaborate trimmings and an ebony board (richlite on recent models) - otherwise built by the same guys, to the same level of workmanship - depending on the era, same pick-ups, often same hardware - so not superior in a performance way 

As you have said, you are not likely to get a Custom, in good order, for around £1500, but no shortage of good Stds between £1200/1500 and my advice would be you'll get far more for your money with a good used example than new
    edited November 2017
    LuttiS said:
    Or..

You could get a strat? 

Hmmm, could I get a custom shop for this money?

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    You could go for a pre 2006 (non chambered) standard for around £1200 and spend the rest on a set of OX4 pickups transforming a good guitar into an outstanding guitar. That's what I did and now have a hell of a keeper!
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    adamm82 said:
    LuttiS said:
    Or..

You could get a strat? 

Probably not.. but professionals are pretty cheap at Andertons at the moment.. :)

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14291
    tFB Trader
    adamm82 said:
    LuttiS said:
    Or..

You could get a strat? 

maybe used but not new

I'd be a touch worried if one minute I'm thinking of a Strat the next a Les Paul - if you are confused and picking up mixed messages then the best advise is to try as many as you can in either 1 or 2 stores and see what works for you - I don't want that to sound patronizing, but it should help you know what you want if you try a few out - £1500 is not cheap/easy money to many, so spend wisely and more importantly spend it on what makes you happy - Your hands and ears are your best tools to asses what guitar work for you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    adamm82 said:
    LuttiS said:
    Or..

You could get a strat? 

maybe used but not new

I'd be a touch worried if one minute I'm thinking of a Strat the next a Les Paul - if you are confused and picking up mixed messages then the best advise is to try as many as you can in either 1 or 2 stores and see what works for you - I don't want that to sound patronizing, but it should help you know what you want if you try a few out - £1500 is not cheap/easy money to many, so spend wisely and more importantly spend it on what makes you happy - Your hands and ears are your best tools to asses what guitar work for you
    I was just kidding I really want a Les Paul. I'm shifting several guitars in my collection to downsize. I will then have 3 electrics only and that will do for me.
  • adamm82 said:
    adamm82 said:
    LuttiS said:
    Or..

You could get a strat? 

maybe used but not new

I was just kidding I really want a Les Paul. I'm shifting several guitars in my collection to downsize. I will then have 3 electrics only and that will do for me.
    I'm seriously tempted by your gold top...

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    LuttiS said:
    adamm82 said:
    LuttiS said:
    Or..

You could get a strat? 

Probably not.. but professionals are pretty cheap at Andertons at the moment.. :)

I'll go crazy and get 2
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    I'd be looking for a non-chambered Standard Faded.
    @adamm82 ; said:

I'll go crazy and get 2
    Watch out.. postage is where they get you...
    adamm82 said:
    adamm82 said:
    LuttiS said:
    Or..

You could get a strat? 

maybe used but not new

I'm seriously tempted by your gold top...
    Its a really nice guitar much better than I expected. I will regret selling it but I think it's for the best.

Then once my Gas returns I will probably buy another. 
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    I’d recommend looking for a Custom Shop Catalina Les Paul. 
    Ebony board, compound radius, long neck tenon, grovers, chambered. 

Really nice guitars to play, I’ve had one from new for nearly 20 years, and loads of lesnpauls have come and gone but this is the only one that is staying forever. 

Only four solid colours, Black, yellow, green and red, but really distinctive and just a a great les Paul. 

They dont go for huge money either, a genuine alternative to standards if you get in with the looks. 

http://i64.tinypic.com/2d299v9.jpg
  • mortmort Frets: 719
    2016 Standard £1350 'like new' from Amazon - if you don't like it send it back!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B007QY8JB0/ref=olp_twister_child?ie=UTF8&m=A2OAJ7377F756P&mv_color_name=1
    mort said:
    2016 Standard £1350 'like new' from Amazon - if you don't like it send it back!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B007QY8JB0/ref=olp_twister_child?ie=UTF8&m=A2OAJ7377F756P&mv_color_name=1
    thanks for this I will keep it in mind.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14456
    adamm82 said:
    I've seen old melody makers

This isn't a post to see what you have for sale :) 
    My lips are sealed. ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.