Neck stuff

Hey!

In the process of putting the Strat back together after some years now) but figured I'd do the honerable thing and jump on the relic wagon. Does anyone out there know what a good wood stain, if that is the right thing, would be to get a more vintagey yellowish/amber kind of colour going on?

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've also hear about a small amount of boot polish on the back to get the darker of a well used neck?
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16736
    I have never had much look with shoe polish. 

On bare wood a traditional wood stain works well.  A nice dark one sanded back for ingrained dirt, a nice antique pine for an amber tint.  Won’t do owt if a finish is already on there.

if it’s already lacquered overspraying with a tint works well
  • Bluesman1989Bluesman1989 Frets: 66
    edited November 2017
    WezV said:
    I have never had much look with shoe polish. 

On bare wood a traditional wood stain works well.  A nice dark one sanded back for ingrained dirt, a nice antique pine for an amber tint.  Won’t do owt if a finish is already on there.

if it’s already lacquered overspraying with a tint works well
    I'm not opposed to getting some sand paper/steel wool on it and having a go that way so wood stain is sounding good! I just don't think I could handle a white Strat with a pale maple neck. So thanks, will give that one a go :)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16736
    If it’s a maple board I wouldn’t recommend it.  The stain will show every mark left from stripping it do you would need to be extremely thorough for it to look good
  • It was almost easy! Maybe I'll just bottle it, wait for summer, and put it outside when I go to work