What's the current thinking on good quality right-angled patch cables?

What's Hot
PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4175
I'd like to get about 10 decent quality right-angled patch cables for my board. I've looked at Evidence Audio SIS - works out about about £12 each. Pricey...anything else as good as?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1093
    edited November 2017
    I use Mogami cables personally but they're even more than £12, but that's cos I don't want any issues when playing live (and haven't) so I want that piece of mind that I've invested a bit more money into something reliable and durable.

Planet waves do a bit more affordable ones than Mogami but you're probably looking at the same sort of price range as the Evidence ones.

MXR do right-angled ones for £7.99.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    edited November 2017
    Buy a length of van Damme and some Hicon Pancakes and get soldering. That works out around £4 a patch cable.

http://www.mcl-media.co.uk/hicon-hi-j63ma05-flat-angled-jack-plug-63mm

Or, designacable.com will make them up for you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4175
    @simonk I'm happy to solder. :-) What's the quality of Hicon?
    Philtre said:
    @simonk I'm happy to solder. :-) What's the quality of Hicon?
    Excellent! I’ve used them for ages with zero issues. Didn’t get on with the solderless kit I tried at all. Think it was a Lava kit... the failure rate was horrendous.
    edited November 2017
    OK, thanks @simonk I might do that. I guess Van Damme Pro Grade Classic XKE instrument cable might do the trick?
    ^ yep, perfect mate.
    Right, that's 20 of them Hicon HI-J63MA05 pancakes ordered for £32 off fleabay. Already got some cable. Result!
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    I made some cables with Hicon pancake jacks - was great, but if you have any kind of unit where the jacks need to sit close together, it's a problem, as the jacks are too wide to allow it. So unfortunately I had this issue when I got my new Boss MS-3, and just went back to cheapo molded coloured plastic jack leads. Which have worked completely fine ever since...
    @Megii Worth bearing in mind, thanks.
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Philtre said:
    @Megii Worth bearing in mind, thanks.
    No worries - the Hicons are nice jacks, and look good too, plus you can use decent quality cable with them, and it won't cost too much. The width is only an issue with certain units anyhow, so if that doesn't apply then I'm sure you've made an good decision.
    Yeah, I mean they're not too expensive. If there's a problem fit I can always use something else for 1 or 2 connections.

BTW - how are people attaching GigRig components (isolator, distributor, etc) to the underside of a pedaltrain - with velcro?

Philtre said:

BTW - how are people attaching GigRig components (isolator, distributor, etc) to the underside of a pedaltrain - with velcro?

I used to just cable tie them in place, which had the benefit of allowing some lateral movement in order to fit around subsequent pedalboard configs.
  • johnhejohnhe Frets: 191
    About half of my leads are homemade with the Hicon plugs. The other half are EA SIS. I had given up on solderless after having lots of reliability issues with George L, but I’m total convert to the EA stuff. It is expensive, but the connection is superb. And the size is much smaller than my Hicon stuff, so it makes for a neater fit in my pedalboard.
  • I think if you're aren't a guy who is pulling out patch cables all the time and moving pedals etc I would say the solderless kits are great. 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8753
    @designacable  What’s the professional’s view on pancake plugs and patch cables?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Roland said:
    @designacable  What’s the professional’s view on pancake plugs and patch cables?
    I'd like to know seeing as how I just ordered my pancakes from @designacable ;-)
  • The professional view..... i'll try!! The Switchcraft 228 pancakes are the best that you can buy, but you do pay for them, they are rock solid and noticeably heavier than anything else ive had my hands on. We have found that the HiCon ones are the next best, im pretty sure that the Eminence ones are from the same factory as well. There are cheaper but from experience you will find that they are very light and feel fragile when you are soldering them, too much heat and they start to fall apart. Ive never been a big fan of solder-less kits, ive used them and find them a bit hit and miss. I certainly wouldn't wire a board for a customer using them. I can see how they would be good for a temp DIY job though. So.........for the money i dont think you can go wrong with the HiCon...... https://www.designacable.com/components/connectors/hicon-pancake-jack-mono-hi-j63ma05-flat-angled-gold-tip-silver-and-black-shell.html

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Another couple of points for all you DIY'ers; always ensure that you cut back the black semi-conductor that surrounds the centre core inside instrument cables, this will then expose the white foamy dielectric. If you dont and the conductor touches this it will create a very low resistance short and will suck all of the tone from your sound. They will still work but will be noticeably quieter and duller. Happy Soldering  : )
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Another couple of points for all you DIY'ers; always ensure that you cut back the black semi-conductor that surrounds the centre core inside instrument cables, this will then expose the white foamy dielectric. If you dont and the conductor touches this it will create a very low resistance short and will suck all of the tone from your sound. They will still work but will be noticeably quieter and duller. Happy Soldering  : )
    Aha! That explains why I got tone suck on one cable that I made using Van Damme cable and Neutriks.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom