Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Compressors...I don't like them

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488

I play a strat. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    Guitar compression is one of those things that works well for some styles with the obvious examples being choppy funk and chickin pickin country, though by no means restricted to those genres.
    If you are using compression like any other effect you are probably doing it wrong, subtle is the name of the game. Set it for subtle interaction and play through it for a few days, then turn it off....That's when you notice what it did and how you'd incorporated it into your playing.
    Of course if you use mainly some form of clipping/overdrive/distortion then you already have some compression in your sound and so adding more may not be the best thing. My favourite overdriven and compressed guitar sounds tend to come from Alan Murphy where the note attack is pulled in but the bloom and sustain is the feature you notice.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I quite like compression when you can here it - the ‘Walking on the Moon’ chord, the lead part on Dire Straits’s ‘Single Handed Sailor’ and (inevitably) ‘Another Brick in the Wall’.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    I don't think it's any different to any other effect, if it's overused it soon becomes tedious.