Borked my Sustainer...

What's Hot
Oops!

Was cleaning the ol' RG / JEM / Bastard and knocked one cable off the 5 way switch. Re-soldered it and now my Fernandes Sustainer doesn't sound as a neck pickup anymore. It still works fine as a sustainer though, so not sure how I managed to f*ck that one up.

I knocked off one green wire (see diagram below) and now it makes the tiniest output ever when its in the neck position with Sustainer tuned off.

Middle and bridge are fine in this mode, just neck (Fernandes Pickup) is borked.

Any ideas?

I'm comfuzzled.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72597
    If the 5-way switch is actually the type of crappy plastic one shown in the diagram, chances are you've buggered the switch terminal either by pulling the wire off or resoldering it.

If it's a proper open-frame metal 5-way, probably not...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7162
    Yup its a plastic fantastic switch.

I was going to order a new switch anyways as this thing is from the 1980s...
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28664
    How good are they as a pickup (when they're working, of course)?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    To be honest I rarely use the neck pickup.. But its nice to have it all working either way.

From memory it sounds like a fairly clear pickup both clean and overdriven, definition is good and is fairly rounded. 
  • vizviz Frets: 10719
    What's an rg/jem/bastard? Lol
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    viz said:
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    @stonevibe ; that is lovely. Very muchly Mike approved

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

mike_l said:
    @stonevibe ; that is lovely. Very muchly Mike approved
     Cheers fella. Its a favourite of mine.

Fixed the issue as well (cheers everyone for your suggestions) Switch had a dodgy connection as ICBM deduced, so I pulled it apart and bent it back. '80s Japanese technology fail, but easy fix.

I wouldn't mind but I changed the pots out to CTS when I had the Sustainer fitted, just left the old switch in.

Oak switch on order and will be fitted in the near future.

So neck pickup is back!

And 'Sporks' it sounds pretty good, better than I expected it too.

This is the horrid thing and yes I did fix that terrible dry joint I made earlier. My eyesight is getting worse, had an eye test last Friday and my Specs are on order. As I have to squint to see stuff like this nowadays, never had glasses before so looking forward to being able to do fiddly stuff again like threading needles and soldering!

• vizviz Frets: 10719
    stonevibe said:
    viz said:

Ah yes that little beaut. :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72597
    That is cool to a quite ridiculous degree. It's like someone turned the "80s" knob up to 20 :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah. 

That was pretty much the look that I was going for and as I pumped most of my small change into Space Invaders as a kid it seemed appropriate.

I'm finding the width of the JEM neck is perfect for my hands as well, so may have to find another one someday. I had an RG560 which was lovely, just the wizard neck was too thin for my hands. Whereas this JEM 777 neck is a lot deeper.