Fender Bassman

What's Hot
GazMozGazMoz Frets: 26
Just wondering what experiences people have had with the fender bassman. Many years ago I played through the custom Fender Bassbreaker combo at a jam. I was completely blown away buy the sustain of the thing. I was playing a standard USA strat at the time, no humbuckers, and the amps volume was set to about 11:00 from what I remember. Thing is I always thought the amp was custom shop, meaning hand-wired and unobtainable. At least to me and my shallow pockets in my early 20's. Anyway.... I've just found out that the "Custom Bassbreaker" while carrying the "custom" in it's name was actually a standard factory Bassman simply put in a 2x12 cab. 
 So who owns a fender bassman, do they have the fantastic levels of sustain from an almost clean amp that I experienced or was I playing through a uniquely freakish version? 
 Thanks all   
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

Which model, there are several.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7934
    edited November 2017
    My favourites are 6G6-B and AA864. 
    Least favourite AB165 and 70’s models  
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4883
    edited November 2017
    jpfamps said:

Which model, there are several.
    I think Gaz is relating to the early 2000s Fender Custom shop Bassbreaker, which based on limited web research is a standard pcb Fender 59 Bassman reissue head in a 2x12 tweed cab. Think its based on the 5F6-A but could be wrong.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    Yep they do sustain OK

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Yes, all the reissue Bassmans are the 5F6-A circuit. They used to come from the factory with a plug-in solid-state rectifier which reduces the compression a bit, I'm not sure if they still do. A lot of people change them for a valve anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GazMozGazMoz Frets: 26
    I'm almost certain the amp had a valve rectifier, at least the guy who's amp it was said it had a valve rectifier.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom