Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

First steps to recording

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    This TPS gives the skinny on how they do just this their end...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    The R24 has a drum machie but it's about as un-intuitive as you can get. Plus drum pads and I think more powered XLRs

If you're mixing in the DAW you don't need the multi track playback.
    (Also note the R8 only records 2 tracks simultaneously.)

There's a Behringer mixer that can record 12 track isn't there?
    But still cheaper to chain two Zooms and get 16 track.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    When people refer to "TPS" I just can't help but think of Office Space...

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Have to sat I'm pleased with my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. That and Reaper would be a massive rig.

I got my best results using Tracktion (plus Reason as the uber-instrument plugin) - Tracktion is back in business after Mackie ballsed it up. I will be getting an up to date copy soon.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
     So I dug out my old pod xt, downloaded audacity and started recording using that. The xt works fine as an interface.

Since I already had the pod, money spent = zero. And it's very fun.

I can wholeheartedly recommend this as a cheap solution to get started. You could pick up a pod on eBay for what, £50?

• WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    Jalapeno said:
    Have to sat I'm pleased with my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. That and Reaper would be a massive rig.

I got my best results using Tracktion (plus Reason as the uber-instrument plugin) - Tracktion is back in business after Mackie ballsed it up. I will be getting an up to date copy soon.
    That was my set up before I went back to the digital work station route. It was good combo.
  • Windows.
    Tracktion (DAW).
    Jamstix (drums).
    Toneport + free software.

I think anything can sound good with enough tweaking and you just get on with whatever you've got working. I'm into plug and play.

• TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    OK, just bought a Steinburg UR22 mkII from @goldtop and with Reaper or the bundled Cubasis LE I am sure that I will be off to a good start.

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6153
    Yes, I had it working perfectly on my 2008 (!) iMac with El Capitan and Logic Pro X. (In fact I suppose I should uninstall the driver applet thingy). I went over to a Saffire Pro 14 Firewire interface (no speed benefit over USB 2) just to get a little more IO.

(I've also unplugged from the Net for this setup, so there won't be any more plug-ins/updates/etc. No games, no Web browser, no email. So ... fingers crossed ... it's now just a hardware multitrack MIDI+audio HDD recorder.)