Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

And another shooting spree

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Snap said:

Latest approval ratings are what, 48%? So, the slight minority think he's alright. DOn't know how that compares ot other presidents, and tbh, I don't care. I'm more interested in how our shower of berks are "managing" brexit!

Currently somewhere between 38-41% depending on which poll you believe. The lowest for any President this far into office.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    randella said:
    ICBM said:

If you do really want a gun to try to defend yourself, don't choose a handgun - that takes some skill and discipline to use under stress - you want a shotgun... harder to miss with.
    Think we're seeing a darker side to @ICBM - note to self, never disagree with him about output transformer impedances ;)
    And the other dark advice is - if you're going to shoot someone, don't aim for the arm - make sure they're dead.  (Just secondhand advice, which apparently came from a policeman attending an incident in the States.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Snap said:
    @ICBM

the point I am trying to make, is that America has made its bed; lie in it. 2% of anything isn't big, but I agree, often this is the sort of margin that determines results, as most people sit in the middle of any debate tbh.

If a quarter isn't a large chunk, I don't know what is. We can argue the toss about what is this, that and the other, until we are blue in the face, and one of us feels he's won some pointless pedantic discussion about elections, turn outs, moral majorities, whatever.
    Whatever. My original post was absolutely clear, you just chose to edit it to make it appear I'd said something different. I said specifically that
    He actually lost the election, in number of votes, and on a very low turnout - only about a quarter of the electorate voted for him.
    and that remains true. I did not say he lost the electoral college, which is why he is now the president.

We agree that their electoral system has turned out to be seriously flawed - for the second time, since Al Gore actually won the popular vote against George W. Bush as well, irrespective of the debatable result in Florida.

My point is simply that you shouldn't assume that most Americans support Trump or his policies when only a quarter of them voted for him and less than half think he's doing a good job.

In fact, almost two-thirds of Americans support tighter gun controls, including 55% of gun owners themselves and substantial majorities for almost all specific measures, except a 'genuine need to own' rule. (The silencer rule is the other way round from what it first appears, if you read the wording.)

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/11/gun-control-vegas-polls-243647

It's Trump and the gun lobby who are out of step with America now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    ICBM said:
    He actually lost the election, in number of votes, and on a very low turnout - only about a quarter of the electorate voted for him.
    and that remains true. I did not say he lost the electoral college, which is why he is now the president.

But they don't decide that election in number of votes.  Are you just bored? :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Ravenous said:

But they don't decide that election in number of votes.  Are you just bored? :)
    No, but I do get very pissed off when people deliberately twist my words to make out I said something different from what I actually did ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein