Rexter Guitars - custom painting, restoration & refinishing

What's Hot

Comments

• MarshallMarshall Frets: 362
    pics not working this end..? :anguished: 

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.” Einstein

Feedback link -  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/133389/marshall#latest

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Pictures working here. 
    Just seems to be the pics from tonight’s post..all the earlier ones seem fine!

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.” Einstein

Feedback link -  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/133389/marshall#latest

• Man there's some seriously talented feckers around here!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Looking like it’s something to do with the google account he’s using to host instead of imgur previously.?

• Marshall said:
    Just seems to be the pics from tonight’s post..all the earlier ones seem fine!
    Same with me, I've tried 2 different web browsers as well.
  • rexterrexter Frets: 369
    tFB Trader
    Weird! They're showing on my phone and mac... But yeah Google instead of Imgur - will try to sort them tomorrow morning. Cheers guys! 
    Custom colours, vintage restorations, high end guitar finishing
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    :+1: 

tFB Trader
    Is this image working for anyone who was having problems?

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
  • @rexter I couldn't see the previous images, but that double bound ice blue offset is working! 
    tFB Trader
    Thanks @CasperCaster appreciate it!
    Persevering with googlephotos as it is handy for me rather than uploading to imgur too, seems that if I put them all in a public album they might show for everyone. tbc  :)
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3868
    No, still not showing for me on Android/Chrome. :0(
  • Still not showing on my iPad.  Are any of these photos not on your Instagram?  
    tFB Trader
    Annoying! Oh well, I swear posting pics here is a bit of a gamble! 
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3868
    Gotta be Imgur innit
  • That's odd. The images from 30th November do not show on my android phone (just a sort of grey 'no entry' sign), but the ice blue metallic offset shows fine. I'm on Android 9 on a Huawei/Honor 8x. 
    tFB Trader
    Back to Imgur!

Very pretty JM style I built for someone in the summer... 

AVRI Jaguar restoration (reposting in case pictures not showing earlier). Came in in a real state. I left the neck as it was (hugely checked with beautiful natural wear) and refinished body and headstock in perefctly aged Ice Blue Metallic. Owner over the moon with this one. As a guide, a job like this which included refin, reassembly, new wiring components and a full setup comes in around £450-500

AV65 Fender Jazzmaster refinished in Firemist Silver

Highway 1 strat refinished in Firemist Gold, needed extensive prep as was totally battered... refinished it then it got a very light re-battering...

Bit the bullet a workshop reshuffle last week. Over a year in here and still feel like there's weeks of work to do getting it to the best setup, but this is a big improvement in the non painting area. It's amazing how many things like this there are to do which feel like they're keeping you from your actual work but are essential for the greater good. It's not just spraying guitars, it's a whole host of other things that have to be done.

Built a new buffer pedastal and tuned it up and now it's purring nicely. Tidier than normal in this picture. I've moved all the messiest machines like the router table and bandsaw well out of the way in the back corner, big Camvac dust collector is hidden away in the back wall cupboard but I still need to sort that all out properly.

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SchmoSchmo Frets: 170

The problem I have with your work is...I'd order a LPB...no, a Firemist Gold, no an Inca Silver, no wait...ugh aged Metallic Ice Blue...damn it, one of each !

Seriously great work...what level of relic aging do you go to ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Schmo said:

The problem I have with your work is...I'd order a LPB...no, a Firemist Gold, no an Inca Silver, no wait...ugh aged Metallic Ice Blue...damn it, one of each !

Haha, thanks! A few customers are on their way to having one of each! 

I'm happy to do whatever the customer wants mostly (apart from highly figured exotic wood tops in lurid stains haha). I enjoy working on all levels of ageing and totally pristine finishes. My default senisbilities lie in always trying to do what looks convincing with a less is more philosophy.

My take is that all vintage guitars left the factory with 'factory' finishes so that's always my starting point. I've had a lot of such guitars thourgh my hands over the years and to see that kind of extreme custom shop level of wear on them just isn't really a thing. But... that kind of ageing has definitely become a movement of it's own I think and there's value in everything. It's all about getting the job right for the individual.

I've done a couple of really heavy relic colour over burst things and they came out well but my usual recommendation to an undecided customer would be lightly aged - a handful of well placed and realistic dinks, perhaps some white primer peeking through and some nice non-compressed air lacquer crazing.
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
  • Schmo said:

I'm with you there. I've got a project I'm planning for next year which will require a light relic finish. But which finish? The woodworking and routing aspects are easy compared to deciding on the right finish, when they all look so great!