Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Ever been to a gig just to see the support?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Went to see Chris Issac because Shawn Colvin was supporting him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • smigeonsmigeon Frets: 283
    Went to see Mott the Hoople (who they??) in 1973 to see the support act, Queen. The latter blew the former off the stage.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10410
    Tax The Heat are supporting Black Star Riders tomorrow so double win for me, love that band 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • munckee said:
    I went to the pier in southsea to see Echobelly in the early 90s was only interested in Rialto who were supporting but echobelly were pretty good too.
    Monday morning 5.19 is a belter. Echbelly are currently touring again. 
  • I imagine a lot of Dolly Parton Fans did.

Dolly Parton in the 1970s

:o 
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22861
    I went to see Cheap Trick once because Living Colour were supporting.  Cheap Trick were OK though.

And I have a feeling I once went to see Chrome Molly because Little Angels were supporting, but I may be mixing up totally different gigs... there was a phase in the late 80s and very early 90s where I went to see loads of bands at the Marquee and the Astoria and my memories of those gigs have all become one big blur.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    not deliberately so, however about 16 years ago saw an Irish band who were being supported by a then virtually unknown Cara Dillon, Sean and Seth Lakeman. The Irish band have faded into the mists of obscurity that their limited ability allows them, whereas Seth Lakeman is now supporting Robert Plant and is a star in his own right. She (Cara and the Lakeman boys) totally blew the main act off the stage.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12366
    munckee said:
    I went to the pier in southsea to see Echobelly in the early 90s was only interested in Rialto who were supporting but echobelly were pretty good too.
    Monday morning 5.19 is a belter. Echbelly are currently touring again. 
    Isn't it an acoustic tour?  Lead singer has a great voice.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    Philly_Q said:
    I went to see Cheap Trick once because Living Colour were supporting.  Cheap Trick were OK though.

And I have a feeling I once went to see Chrome Molly because Little Angels were supporting, but I may be mixing up totally different gigs... there was a phase in the late 80s and very early 90s where I went to see loads of bands at the Marquee and the Astoria and my memories of those gigs have all become one big blur.
    I saw Little Angels at Rock City after their first album - great show, and Wolverhampton Civic Hall after their 2nd, which wasn't nearly as good. Loved that first album in my teens
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22861
    horse said:
    Philly_Q said:

I saw Little Angels at Rock City after their first album - great show, and Wolverhampton Civic Hall after their 2nd, which wasn't nearly as good. Loved that first album in my teens
    I saw them twice before the Too Posh To Mosh mini-album came out, and I liked them because they were happy smiley kids playing slightly Van Halen-ish hard rock.  By the time the first album proper came out, I'm sure they were better songwriters but I just didn't like them any more (and why did they have that bloody horn section?).
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    First time the Jimi Hendrix Experience played the States they were support for a Monkees tour. I wasn't there (I wasn't born), but I like to think people who saw that had their ears and eyes opened.
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    Saw Anthrax because Living Colour we’re supporting them, and the Scorpions because they were supported by House of Lords.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    Philly_Q said: 
    horse said:
    Philly_Q said:

I saw them twice before the Too Posh To Mosh mini-album came out, and I liked them because they were happy smiley kids playing slightly Van Halen-ish hard rock.  By the time the first album proper came out, I'm sure they were better songwriters but I just didn't like them any more (and why did they have that bloody horn section?).
    They must have been pretty young at that stage. Listening back to the first album in hindsight, each track sounds like a tribute to something else, be that van halen or bon jovi or ... but it did have an energy, and they were all pretty good at what they did, and were something to look up to for my youthful self. Seemed to bland out by the 2nd album though
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Yeah, it was The Bad Plus' first gig in the UK I believe, they were supporting Tommy Smith (with John Scofield) at the Barbican around 2002/2003.

They completely owned the venue, and, in retrospect, blew away the main act. They were mobbed at the interval and sold out their CDs.
  • flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
    viz said:
    Van Halen supporting Bon Jovi in 2000-ish at Wembley stadium
    Same
  • The era of proper support bands seems to have gone, I think the majority of big gigs ( town hall sized and up) I've been to for the last few years there has been no support or it has been a bloke and acoustic guitar type support. 

Anyway, an old memory this but I went to see Nazareth supported by Saxon circa 1980 which was as Saxon were starting to enjoy their 15 minutes big fame and half the audience left before Nazareth came on.

horse said:
    Philly_Q said: 
    horse said:
    Philly_Q said:

They must have been pretty young at that stage. Listening back to the first album in hindsight, each track sounds like a tribute to something else, be that van halen or bon jovi or ... but it did have an energy, and they were all pretty good at what they did, and were something to look up to for my youthful self. Seemed to bland out by the 2nd album though
    I saw Little Angels when I was a student. Late eighties sometime, I have a vague feeling they got moved from playing the main hall to the bar because ticket sales were so poor. I can't remember the songs, just their growing frustration with an unresponsive audience. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    About to lose my going-just-for-the-support virginity - Silver Sun are supporting Sleeper next month. Completely unfamiliar with the latter, rabid fanboy of the former.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."