Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What's your oldest piece of gear?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• NeillNeill Frets: 943
    WezV said:
    Neill said:
    I have an EKO accoustic which I bought new in 1969.  My first guitar, pretty much unplayable now, but after my wife and our two dogs the only other thing I would have to rescue if the house was on fire.
    Does it have massive divots in the wenge fretboard?   2 of my uncles had them. one is surprisingly good, so good the other uncle had to have one.  That one was terrible.  

I refretted both, and they both had fingerboard divots you would expect on much older guitars
    ICBM said:
    Neill said:
    I have an EKO accoustic which I bought new in 1969.  My first guitar, pretty much unplayable now, but after my wife and our two dogs the only other thing I would have to rescue if the house was on fire.
    Unless the top is badly warped that should be fixable. Ekos are some of the more easily repairable vintage guitars, with a bolt-on neck, effective truss rod and adjustable bridge you can usually get them quite playable.
    Other discussions I've had suggest EKOs from this era vary enormously in quality, I definitely got one from the lower end I think...  Don't recall it having divots in the fretboard but TBH I haven't even had it out of the case for years.  It's literally the only thing I have of any sentimental value I don't even think about it as an instrument anymore.  I stopped playing it once I realised how bad the sound was compared to a decent accoustic!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 1983 Boss BF-2 Flanger

• XsmnmyXsmnmy Frets: 124
    1952 Kay K-125, their first solid body 'spanish electric guitar'

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • XsmnmyXsmnmy Frets: 124
    edited November 2017
    My 1955 Selmer Tv15. Im the second owner =0
    pics? is it one of the two-tone brown snakeskin-style covering ones? with an Audiom 60?
    i acquired a blood+custard TV12 a few years ago but it had been painted black and needed work, plus i was scared of the live chassis, wish i'd kept it now...
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Some lovely bits of old stuff in this thread!

My oldest bit of gear is my 1966 Fender Electric XII that I bought in 1992 for £500. It's a bit of a beater in original faded-out sunburst. I got it for two reasons; firstly it was cheaper and easier to play than a Rickenbacker and secondly, I couldn't find a Charvel Surfcaster 12. So pleased that I got the Fender!

I used to have a WEM Copicat from 1962 but that was rather foolishly sold a few years back.

In other gear I have a Leslie 18 rotary cab from between '68 to '72 and a pair of 1970's silver-faced Selmer Treble & Bass sv 50s.

Oh, and a Hohner Organa 12 reed organ which could be from the 60's

• My sambora strat. Bought new from andertons at the guitar show in Earls Court in 1996. Both had it the longest and is the oldest thing I own.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7343
    my hands...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • I don't know for sure, but my chrome wah shell (from a Carlsboro) is probably the oldest music thing I have. Not sure how old though - probably only mid-90's. It now houses a BYOC circuit which is excellent. Guitar-wise I think it's my SG, which is a 2000, so not very old at all really.

I used to regularly loan my Mum's Dad's older wooden recorder, which I would guess is 1920s, but I'm not exactly a big recorder player these days.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2175
    edited November 2017
    The oldest piece of gear I own is a PRS Custom 24. It's 20 years old this month. 

Actually... the one in my avatar. Barely use it. Might sell it to be fair. 
  • I'm not exactly a big recorder player these days.
    well done for losing weight ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30929
    My 1961 Strat.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• DOD Grunge Fx69 bought in the early 90’s for about £90 at Mid Wales Music, Newtown. Silly amounts of gain. Been in its box in the attic for years. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3594
    Oldest piece of gear is a 1968 marshall small box 50w JMP head, it's also the item I've owned longest since I bought it used when it was about 9 years old for £50 and still have it and use it to this day. Just think during the late 80s and 90s people use to say I should sell it and get a decent amp ha ha ha!
  • JotaJota Frets: 465
    '89 Strat
    Got it around 2002, maybe.
    I think I payed €400 cause the neck is twisted and the truss rod broke.

• ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    1967 Gibson J45. 50 years old this year. Haven't played it for about 10 years, keep saying i'm going to restring it and start using it again. https://i.imgur.com/ic77bIM.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3055
    Jackson Soloist made in 1993. Bought from a guy on a Facebook group and selling my Jackson Kelly. I wanted a Soloist since  I was a kid and luckily found one at just the right time. I love it.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2980

1976 Manson

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

56 Les Paul Special

And yes - it's wonderful!

• 1983 Tokai Jazz Sound which I've had for the past 34 years. Or I've got an old Carlsbro Marlin PA amp in the loft which is probably a similar vintage.