Truss rod question

When you put a truss rod in, does it normally have a bit of play left/right rather than being tight on the sides?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16733
    It’s better to be a tight fit but if it’s not  wrap in film or add a couple of drops of silicone to the channel (masking off all glue surfaces until dried).

my blacktop Les Paul ended up with some sympathetic vibration  from the truss rod.  Sadly it was at the body end so very difficult to cure...  I got it in the end but it took a series of tiny holes and a syringe to get there 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    WezV said:
    It’s better to be a tight fit but if it’s not  wrap in film or add a couple of drops of silicone to the channel (masking off all glue surfaces until dried).

my blacktop Les Paul ended up with some sympathetic vibration  from the truss rod.  Sadly it was at the body end so very difficult to cure...  I got it in the end but it took a series of tiny holes and a syringe to get there 
    I made a neck with a tight fit truss rod, and it didn't work properly, which is why I was asking. It doesn't move in the middle. I've just taken the fretboard off, and I'm sure it will work better with a tad of movement on the sides. 
    What sort of rod is it?  
    Dual action Warman. It's a very tight fit on the sides and I'm 99% sure that it is hindering its operation, so I think that I am going to widen the slot just a tad. I literally had to prise it out!
    you want it tight at the ends at the very least.  
    Ok ta
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72469
    axisus said:
    Dual action Warman. It's a very tight fit on the sides and I'm 99% sure that it is hindering its operation, so I think that I am going to widen the slot just a tad. I literally had to prise it out!
    I doubt it - the force it can apply to the neck when you tighten the nut is enormous. If you could even get it out at all, it will easily overcome that sort of friction.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Did you test the rod out of the guitar... unless you over reinforce the neck it should still work fine...

I have only ran into issues when I have done 5 piece laminate necks with exotic woods and solid bar cf reinforcement....ev n then, they still worked a bit.

i have had faulty rods in the past though
    Yeah, tested out, works fine. It did work a bit in the guitar neck but harder to turn than any I've ever known, had to get a lever on it! I've modified things a tad, I'll see how it fares when back together.