Finding notes on the fretboard

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• OnTheRopesOnTheRopes Frets: 44
    edited November 2017
    Steve-O said:
    If you already know the notes on the E and A strings you are halfway there already so give yourself a pat on the back!
    However, to able to think of any note or triad or chord and play them at any position on the fretboard as easily as you can find a G on the low E string takes dedicated practice and mental concentration as Im sure you are aware by now.

First, I would recommend strengthening the foundation of knowledge you already have. Play notes from the Cmajor scale horizontally on one string at a time, and then learn the positions for the D,G, and B strings. Say the notes as you play them as others have said.  From there try playing triads (C,E,G) starting from a different string each time (The Goerge Van Epps book really helps in this regard). This will help build your vertical knowledge of the fretboard.

Finally, don't give up! It's taxing and tedious work for sure, but if you persevere with just 30 minutes a day you'll start to be able to visualize the notes on the guitar before you play them almost unconsciously. 
    Which Goerge Van Epps  book is that? The only thing I get on Amazon is "
     Preparation of nitriles. II. Catalytic preparation of nitriles ..
    which I think is not the book you are referring to? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Steve-O said:
    If you already know the notes on the E and A strings you are halfway there already so give yourself a pat on the back!
    However, to able to think of any note or triad or chord and play them at any position on the fretboard as easily as you can find a G on the low E string takes dedicated practice and mental concentration as Im sure you are aware by now.

First, I would recommend strengthening the foundation of knowledge you already have. Play notes from the Cmajor scale horizontally on one string at a time, and then learn the positions for the D,G, and B strings. Say the notes as you play them as others have said.  From there try playing triads (C,E,G) starting from a different string each time (The Goerge Van Epps book really helps in this regard). This will help build your vertical knowledge of the fretboard.

Finally, don't give up! It's taxing and tedious work for sure, but if you persevere with just 30 minutes a day you'll start to be able to visualize the notes on the guitar before you play them almost unconsciously. 
    Which Goerge Van Epps  book is that? The only thing I get on Amazon is "
     Preparation of nitriles. II. Catalytic preparation of nitriles ..
    which I think is not the book you are referring to? 
    It might be George Van Eps Harmonic Mechanisms for Guitar. I had a copy of Vol. 1 many years ago but quickly gave up on it. If it is that weighty tome, it would be like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut in relation to learning the notes on the fretboard :)

It's not a competition.
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    Visualising the fretboard in parts and then as a whole in each key is a good exercise that can be done away from the guitar. Learn the notes for a key in each 4-5 fret block on the fretboard. See them in your mind.

I can visualise the whole fretboard in most keys and if I can do it, you can do it too, it just takes small amounts of regular practice over time, plus a small amount of dedication and perseverance.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • I have the "George Van Eps Guitar Method". which is just a series of short Triad practices.
    Looking around it seems to be out of print now... but you might be able to find a PDF of it somewhere.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    This guy has an alternative way of learning the notes. Seems to be working for me at the moment anyway

This is great.
    I kind of know where the notes are anyway... kind of... pretty well.
    However, I've been looking for 5 minute diversion activities so I thought this might fit the bill and it has.
    I'm a week in and I was definitely a bit weaker on one note than others.
    I'm upping the speed of the metronome now, not heroically but enough to make it more challenging.
    And even in just over one week the fretboard is starting to look different.
  • adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
    edited December 2017
    adampeter said:
    I struggle with this until i starting learning the major scale and its 5 "shapes" all over the neck
    Something just clicked learning this in every key with every shape, also opened up CAGED as well

There are 7 major scale shapes, each beginning with a different note of the major scale. You can also call them modes if you like.
    There's 5 major scale caged shapes, i should have been clearer