Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Is the higher end market for acoutics dead?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    ditchboy said:
    crunchman said:

Then my friend we must agree to differ. For the record I don't think nitro makes a blind bit of difference to the sound, from my own experience my old USA standard ash body strat had a better sound both acoustically and plugged in than my EJ strat. For years I used a 80's Tokai Strat with a poly finish and got a great sound with an AC30, it was also one of the comfiest electrics I've owned.
    I'm not saying there isn't a difference just that it's not much of one when compared to the difference between a good Martin and a lower end acoustic in the sub 1k bracket.
    I think you can find examples of that with any kind of guitar.  I've played several of the old model D28 without the forward shifted bracing, and I'd prefer the sound of one of the Mexican made Martins with the HPL back and sides to most of them.
    What about the new version with the forward shifted bracing?
    I've not actually played one yet, but I suspect it will be a significant improvement.  I've got an HD28V which I've had for around 10 years.  When I bought that, I think it was cheapest Martin Dreadnought with the forward shifted bracing.  Cheapest obviously being a relative term!

I've played the newer version of the D18 and that is an improvement on the old one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11901
    crunchman said:
    I think buying a top end acoustic is money well spent, particularly if people are willing to blow £2.5k up the wall for CS Fender Strat or other high end electric. You definitely get more for your money with an acoustic and it is difficult to replicate the sound at the lower level of cheaper acoustics, whereas a cheap electric with decent pick ups and quality amp will do the job just fine.

Don't really agree with this.

The nitro finish on a high end Strat or Tele definitely makes a difference to the feel, and some would argue the tone as well, but I'm not going there.  You have to spend £900 to get a Fender with nitro (Mexican Classic Lacquer series).  Add in another £100 plus for decent pickups and you are north of £1k.

You also don't have to go to £2.5k to get a really good acoustic. You can find deals on some of the higher Furch guitars (32 series and above) to get them for around £1.4k.  Guitar Village were advertising some at that price in their "Black Friday" promotion. 

Yes, you can buy a perfectly giggable acoustic or electric for a lot less, but those cheaper ones won't be comparable to a CS Fender.  The Classic lacquer series with a pickup upgrade won't be completely comparable, but it's the cheapest one that's likely to get you close.

Then my friend we must agree to differ. For the record I don't think nitro makes a blind bit of difference to the sound, from my own experience my old USA standard ash body strat had a better sound both acoustically and plugged in than my EJ strat. For years I used a 80's Tokai Strat with a poly finish and got a great sound with an AC30, it was also one of the comfiest electrics I've owned.
    I'm not saying there isn't a difference just that it's not much of one when compared to the difference between a good Martin and a lower end acoustic in the sub 1k bracket.
    The fundamental difference is that solid-body guitars are a far better candidate for production-line manufacturing than are acoustics, and the fine tuning that can lift a guitar to a higher level is much harder for an acoustic

Consequently you can get great electrics made in Korea that are better made than some top USA brands - pro-level electrics can be bought for under £1k, but the best acoustics are hand-made, and that takes a long apprenticeship, and (I assume) some specific motor skills, ear and temperament. Therefore, when looking for pro-level acoustics, the RRP is typically £2500 or more. You can get cheaper names from less- wealthy countries  (e.g. Furch), but not that much cheaper

I have electrics that I love that were under £1k new, but I can't remember playing any acoustic with an RRP of less than £2k+ that I was happy with

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I’m also of the belief that it’s cheaper to get an excellent electric than an excellent acoustic. My acoustic is a BSG. I had not heard of them until I played it side by side with some other known brand stuff. I preferred it and it was significantly cheaper than the US made acoustics I was looking at. Was still more expensive than any electric I’ve bought I’ve not had the GAS to change it in almost 10 years.
  • I’m also of the belief that it’s cheaper to get an excellent electric than an excellent acoustic. My acoustic is a BSG. I had not heard of them until I played it side by side with some other known brand stuff. I preferred it and it was significantly cheaper than the US made acoustics I was looking at. Was still more expensive than any electric I’ve bought I’ve not had the GAS to change it in almost 10 years.
    IMO Czech guitar makers are fantastic, they go under the radar but their quality/consistency/value outperforms their USA counterparts.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    I was talking to my violin dealer/luthier friend the other day and she was raving about chinese made fiddles, like the Cz guitars, they are all hand made by proper luthiers from good quality timbers. She has to QC them quite rigoursly when they come in (the odd one gets sent back to the wholesaler) and all get a fettle and set up, but she reckons they are up they with European made, more expensive instruments. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• I'm still amazed usa Guilds dont get the respect they deserve, they have never had a bad period, apart from the 2000s continual changing of  hands, they sound just as good as the big three and are always well made, they are my number one brand for those reasons, I'll always have a guild in my life, :)