Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Who really likes the Tubescreamer?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• I've used an old OD-1 with an AC15 and (in the dim and distant past) an AC30 with an Epi Sheraton. I think it works well, the mid-range character of the overdrive blending well with the mid-range character of the amp's drive. I can see why TS/OD pedals would work well with Fenders (boosting the mids into a scooped amp) but the converse (scooped BD-2 overdrive into a mid-rangey Vox) didn't work at all for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72574
    thermionic said:

I can see why TS/OD pedals would work well with Fenders (boosting the mids into a scooped amp) but the converse (scooped BD-2 overdrive into a mid-rangey Vox) didn't work at all for me.
    I never find that way round works when stacking pedals either. I always go mid-boost into mid-cut, regardless of the amount of gain or any other characteristic - it just sounds better to me that way.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    Reading this thread the other day prompted me to try my ts9 mini into the clean channel of my Mini Rectifier at saturdays gig, i've only ever used it as a boost for the gain channel as the one time i tried it to provide overdrive it sounded a bit crap. But lo and behold this time it sounded quite good. In fact it sounded very close to the pushed mode with a fair bit of gain dialed in. 

It wasn't quite as good but considering it meant i could leave my clean channel alone it was worth it, and it's not really like the crowd really cared. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4942
    I've got a Joyo clone which I picked up at a Bass Bash; it's OK.
    But it's not as good as my Boss SD-1.
    I've got a second SD-1 and apparently you can mod it to a TS because it's got the same chip; I might do that.
    TS themselves seem a bit overpriced, but if I saw one cheap I'd buy it.
  • must agree. I have a Maxon 820 pro and into my DR Z amp which is blackface style, it sounds great with the Telecaster, not really amazing with the Les Paul. But the amp itself is so clean that maybe that's the problem. I have used it to boost my Angry Charley pedal though, and that is bloody lovely.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I built a Fuzzdog TS808 kit a couple of weeks ago and it's the first TS I have ever used. Sounds great with a LP into a driving Marshall. Sounds killer when boosting an OCD!