NAD 1981 JMP 2204

What's Hot
HHwarnerHHwarner Frets: 137
edited November 2017 in Amps
Well new to me anyway. Got my hands on this beast last night. Condition wise, you wouldn't believe its nearly 37 yo. Sounds superb too. Given the condition Id say its been re tolexed ect to a very high standard as the head case looks new.
 https://imgur.com/a/jhK4X

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    That’s a proper amp!  Should sound awesome.      
    The case looks in amazing condition - it’s by any chance the one I saw recently that Marshall had rehoused in a new box?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Beautiful. This is one of my dream amps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    That's a beauty :)

And a beast ;)
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • Awesome
  • HHwarnerHHwarner Frets: 137
    John_P said:
    That’s a proper amp!  Should sound awesome.      
    The case looks in amazing condition - it’s by any chance the one I saw recently that Marshall had rehoused in a new box?

Quite possibly, the case is too new looking to be original.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    That’s one way to get the valves cooking!

Happy NAD, that’s a cracker. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • very tidy

• very nice indeed - be interesting to compare with mine ... slightly older but still going strong .. 

I've done the bright cap mod for lower volume playing  ... otherwise its stock - though still occasionally tempted to mod with a loop .. 

speakers are key imho to getting the very best from it and possibly an attenuator - these are deceptively loud ,,

ENJOY - I'm shouting as suspect you've had 2204 induced hearing loss already  :-) 
  • MartinBMartinB Frets: 207
    My brother had the 2x12" combo version when we were teenagers (and later when we played in a band together).  They're lovely amps, albeit many times louder than we ever needed!  Much more versatile than their RAWK associations would suggest too.  
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    That's stunning.
    It looks new!
    Really well done.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    Very Nice, what did you pay for it, a few years ago you could pick those up for £550 - £650, but somewhere along the line the prices shot up.
    JMP220478 said:
    very nice indeed - be interesting to compare with mine ... slightly older but still going strong .. 

I've done the bright cap mod for lower volume playing  ... otherwise its stock - though still occasionally tempted to mod with a loop .. 

speakers are key imho to getting the very best from it and possibly an attenuator - these are deceptively loud ,,

ENJOY - I'm shouting as suspect you've had 2204 induced hearing loss already  :-) 
    Yes agree Speakers make or break it. I run Greenbacks in a 4x12 and also use a Marshall Power brake and crank the MV a bit

Very Nice, what did you pay for it, a few years ago you could pick those up for £550 - £650, but somewhere along the line the prices shot up.
    I paid £800 for it. I know you see them on eBay for over £1000 but imo that’s a bit optimistic on behalf of the seller. £700-£900 is more realistic these days 
  • Lovely! I've got a '77 2204 myself (also retolexed) and it roars. HNAD! :) 
    Only way to feel the noise is when it's good and loud!

• Nice! Like, wow nice! :)

To be fair to the tolex, the amp itself also looks like it was made yesterday :)

Makes me wonder if it was put away for 37 years and never played, in which case you'd think the filter caps might be a bit screwed, but it sounds good so what do I know? Congrats! :)
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2806
    That amp is cooking! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom