Cheap secondhand amp recommendations!?

What's Hot
I've got a Squier Telcaster which I'm currently playing through a Kingsman BB10 which was given to me with the guitar when I bought it just so I could get a sound out of it.

I'm looking to buy something used for around £50-60 to use at home. Something which will have a reasonable sound at a lowish volume and not to big. I like (trying) to play (indie based music, new wave/punk). 

Any recommendations?
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I’d look at something like a peavey studio pro or maybe a Marshall vs30. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    edited November 2017
    A Cube 60 could be had for 60 quid or so. OK, they’re not everyone’s cup of tea but they work well at low volume, have a range of amp models and usable effects built in... plus they’re pretty compact.

https://www.roland.com/us/products/cube-60/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Have a look at the Blackstar ID:Core series. Decent range of tones, plenty of built in effects (including stereo effects due to having 2 small speakers instead of one), and very user friendly for a relative beginner.

Should be able to pick a 2nd hand example of the 20watt version for around that budget; I should know, as I've just sold mine yesterday for £60!
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    Along similar lines to other suggestions. You can pick up a Vox Vt amp such as the VT20+ very cheap. Loads of amp models and effects included and sound decent at bedroom volume
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I got a Peavey Bandit recently for £20 and it's brilliant.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72599
    Peavey would probably be my first choice for new wave/punk. Most of the older models can be easily found for under £100, the smaller ones for well under.

You could easily find a Backstage - the amp Paul Weller used to record quite a lot of the early Jam material, if it matters! - for £50-£60, and probably several of the bigger models as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/117390/fs-roland-cube-30x#latest

That's from a member here plus if the locations right he's in Wigan
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1639

Check out Cash Generator stores. I saw a Fender Mustang for a nifty in one a year ago and peeps here said they are ok.

You get a week to take stuff back, no hassle so, buy, ask here, keep or return!

Dave.

•  I would keep the little amp as you don’t need much volume for home use then get a 2nd hand line 6 pod to plugin in still a lot of useable tones and effects for like 20_40quid on eBay 
  • Thanks for the advice, there seem to be lots out there in my price range just a matter of getting a good one. The Blackstar ID Cores do seem to get good write ups.

Does speaker size make much difference at the lower price end (being mindful that I don't want anything to big)?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72599

The Blackstar ID Cores do seem to get good write ups.
    Try before you buy… I hated the sound of the ID Core. Others like them so it's very much a personal taste thing.

Does speaker size make much difference at the lower price end (being mindful that I don't want anything to big)?
    Not that much, but I think having a 'normal' guitar speaker (usually 8" or larger, although some have 6.5" and still sound OK) sounds more like a real amp and is preferable to a pair of 4" or smaller, which tends to sound like playing through a clock radio ;).

In this price/size range I would try the Line 6 Spider 15 as well - which has an 8" speaker - they're only £82 new, so a second hand one should be easily within your budget.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• relic245relic245 Frets: 963
    someone was selling a fender G-Dec 30 on here a while ago for not much money. I had one a coupe of years ago and it was a cracking little amp. 
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 616
    relic245 said:
    someone was selling a fender G-Dec 30 on here a while ago for not much money. I had one a coupe of years ago and it was a cracking little amp. 

That was me, but now sold. But yes, I think the G Dec series was very under rated. Peavey Vypyr 15 should also be able to pick up cheap