1x12 combo 'all rounder' amp - what's your favourite and why?

What's Hot

Comments

• The audio equivalent to a unicorn (for a single amp solution).  As others have already said, get a clean tone you're happy with and use pedals for the rest.  I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with your Morgan.  You'd think that a relatively simple and well known circuit like the Princeton would be easy to produce reliably.  I thought your old one sounded wonderful.  If you really want the 'ambient' thing going on then Fendery tones are more likely to suit better than the Marshally side of things (IMO).  If I hadn't just bought another amp the Fender 63 Vibro in the classifieds would have been top of my list.  Maybe something like that?  Whatever you decide, good luck with your search.
    What did you get Dave?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fender Princeton 2.  Picking it up on Thursday.  Seems I can't get away from them  ;)  
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16099
    Anyone who knows me will know my answer in advance...

Carr Rambler.

I dont believe that there are many amps that can do great cleans to crunch.

So, the cleans are hardest to find - and the Rambler has this in spades.

Crunch - Pedals are the answer here with the Rambler, as it takes pedals SO well.

A superb all-rounder of an amp, that let's you notice the subtle variance of each pick up...

Absolutely agree ......nothing I have ever tried/owned comes close other than Slant V6
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    The closest I've ever got was the Engl Screamer 50 combo.

The outstanding thing about it, which I haven't seen in any other amp, is the fact that it has effectively 4 channels, and each channel sounds completely different to the others.

Ch1 - Pristine, glassy cleans. Really love the tone of this channel
    Ch2 - Round, classic rock overdrive, covers edge of breakup stuff to Plexi territory.
    Ch3 - Hard rock, more treble, more bite, think overdriven JCM800 and beyond.
    Ch4 - Pure metal. Not just Ch3 with more gain, but a completely different voicing. Scooped mids, expanded highs and lows. Sounds evil.

With this amp you could literally play anything and sound good playing it.
  • I’ve been through various Fenders and Marshalls over the years including DSL40, DSL20, HRD, Blues Jr Mk1+2 but for last 5 years or so I’ve settled on a Deluxe Reverb which I’ve had modded for reverb on both channels which are now in phase for easy blending, and swapped the speaker for a Cannabis Rex. Cleans are absolutely spot on, and the amp now sounds great with pedals as well as having ample power for my needs while still being reasonably portable.

• peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    I'm selling a Carr Skylark which is certainly different
  • MattPMattP Frets: 252

Mark IV. It'll do everything including slip a disc in your back when you try to pick it up.

I'd love another one, one day.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGee said:
    Mesa 5:25

Theoretically the current “Plus” version covers even more ground with the addition of the graphic EQ, a second master volume, and multiple channel assignable power settings but for my money the “grab and go” simplicity (for a Mesa product), the smaller cab size of the 1x10” format, and the fact that I already own it means the original version wins out... 

My only real complaints are the inaccessible DIN plug for the footswitch and that the “Clean” and “Crunch” modes are on the same channel so I can’t use them together but since “Clean” dials up to a decent Crunch (which then cleans up beautifully on the guitar volume), and “Blues” dials down to a decent clean that’s a very, very, very long way from a show-stopper.
    This would fit your requirements very nicely although my personal desert island amp would be my Cornell Romany Pro. 
  • JayGee said:

Theoretically the current “Plus” version covers even more ground with the addition of the graphic EQ, a second master volume, and multiple channel assignable power settings but for my money the “grab and go” simplicity (for a Mesa product), the smaller cab size of the 1x10” format, and the fact that I already own it means the original version wins out... 

My only real complaints are the inaccessible DIN plug for the footswitch and that the “Clean” and “Crunch” modes are on the same channel so I can’t use them together but since “Clean” dials up to a decent Crunch (which then cleans up beautifully on the guitar volume), and “Blues” dials down to a decent clean that’s a very, very, very long way from a show-stopper.

5/25 vs Rectoverb 25?

anyone have a view, I like warmer, fatter cleans?

• JayGee said:

5/25 vs Rectoverb 25?

anyone have a view, I like warmer, fatter cleans?

The Rectoverb 25 clean channel in pushed mode will give you that. It is a glorious amp and I miss mine terribly.
  • Two rock Sensor 22, clean, drive and boost, buffered fx loop that doubles as a sort-of attenuator 
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7421
    Either

Fender Deluxe Reverb RI

or

Dr Z Maz Jr 
    Red ones are better. 
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    Fender Supersonic 60. 

Cleans are superb, the drive channel is pretty damn good, the reverb is ok, the fx loop doubles as a brilliant boost. 

As as far as plug in and play amps go this one is up there.
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 847
    Another vote for the Carr Rambler.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • frownfrown Frets: 32
    Mesa Boogie Electradyne for me.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    MattP said:

Mark IV. It'll do everything including slip a disc in your back when you try to pick it up.

I'd love another one, one day.

Lovely amps, but yes, heavier than the Sun
  • The mesa Rectoverb 25 is the best amp I've played. It's just so versatile and it sounds great. You can go from Fenderish Cleans to full on Dual Rec style gain and everything in between. 
  • Mesa Lonestar Special? Still quite weighty - but great Fender-like cleans, and exceptional reverb. The second channel can be set up as a darker clean channel for use with pedals, or for mild to moderate dirt.
  • The mesa Rectoverb 25 is the best amp I've played. It's just so versatile and it sounds great. You can go from Fenderish Cleans to full on Dual Rec style gain and everything in between. 

The demos of the Rectoverb 25 on Youtube sound like they lack low end and the distortion is a bit raspy. I know it's hard to tell through these videos.

• RD Dualist 30 watt combo with two 6l6s cathode bias. Evm 12l speaker. Fender cleans to super saturated overdrive. Has built in reverb, boost and fat switch. What more could a man want?