Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Recommend me a pair of Speakers for my Hi-Fi

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• lamf68lamf68 Frets: 851
    uncledick said:
    If you're in a small room and on a budget you could do a lot worse than this:

https://www.richersounds.com/wharfedale-9-0-black.html
    I ain’t no gear snob, but surely for 39 quid they’ll sound like sheeeeiiet
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    edited November 2017
    If your Bose thingy sounds better than your TT, there is something very wrong or 'out' on your TT. I find it hard to believe that anything Bose made sounds better than your Pro-ject TT.

Edit: is the phono stage for a moving magnet or moving coil? Most likely moving magnet. And is the cartridge moving magnet to match the amp input?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • B & W dm602 are apparently good value used. 
    We have a small pair of Q acoustics 2010i at home which are frankly quite awesome for the size. 

• lamf68 said:
    uncledick said:

Not audiophile, but far better than they ought to be for the money - and suit a small room.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited December 2017
    I bought some Monitor Audio Bronze 2.
    I had a crazy idea to have a second system an another room and then quickly changed my mind.

But they sounded great (with Meridian CD player and Meridian amp). They did not sound like £250ish. In fact I was amazed. Bass was totally controlled (Bookshelf speaker....not really small), Female vocals sounded more like a £500 speaker. So that it is the only one I can strongly recommend. I sold them - as brand new -  to a forum member.

I think Richer Sounds is a great shop and the idea of buying last years model for £££££ less is a great idea. But Rocker is right. Find out how good your turntable is (or what needs doing to your turntable).

• I never liked Wharfedale or Mission speakers. Or those Celestion Ditton things with the flappy flabby "Associated Bass Radiator".

Recommended: KEF, B&W, Tannoy - but as others have said, you need to match the speaker type & model to your room and the rest of your system.

I have heard other people's systems and decided they didn't need new speakers or better amplifier, what they really needed was a decent turntable/cd player/other sound source. The GIGO principle applies.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    edited December 2017
    @lamf68. Don't change anything until you know which part of your system is reducing it's effectiveness at replaying music in your room. Step 1: using your Bose source, get your system sounding as good as it is capable off. Move speakers out from the back wall 50 m.m., listen to a track (from your usual listening position), then another 50 m.m., listen again and so on. The further out a speaker is, the less prominent the bass is but everything else gets clearer. Shifting speakers, listening and assessing could/will take you several weeks. At some stage you will find the best sound, then turn the speakers to face your listening position. This usually sharpens the stereo image. When you are happy with the sound, install the spikes, get the speakers vertical with a spirit level. Then try to get your TT to work properly. Obviously it doesn't if the Bose source sounds better. It may need to be looked at by a hi-fi dealer who will get it setup correctly for you. And when it is back and working perfectly, leave it as it is. Enjoy the sound and buy lots of records.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    lamf68 said:
    Hopefully this is not inappropriate for this section of the forum, if there was a Hi-Fi section I'd have put it in there. I have been back buying vinyl for the past couple of years and bought a Marantz amp(may be shite not sure!) and a Project Turntable (Think it's half decent) but my sound is Farkin Rubbish it's not muffled or anything like that, just totally unimpressive. I'm assuming it's the speakers which are these Acoustic Energy aegis evo 3's

Now when I started buying this gear I was under no illusions that I was gonna have some kind of audio sound that would send shivers up my spine, but I did hope it would sound half tidy. I read review upon review of all the stuff I bought and for my budget i thought they'd be suffice. I'm utterly underwhelmed here and need to re-jig something, if anyone can suggest a pair of speakers that will hopefully impress me for a decent price I'd love to hear. Cheers lads
    Define unimpressive. How large is your room? Those speakers kick out some sound - they are rated to 150 watts. If the room is compact I would suspect  that you are not driving the speakers hard enough. If the Bose system sounds OK then I suspect that your room would be better off with some bookshelf style speakers on stands. Do you know anyone who could lend you a pair to try?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    edited December 2017
    Used Proac Studio 110's with decent heavy stands. Great speakers for a medium to biggish room. Best I've had, and I've been through too many to mention. But, you will need quality at the source and quality amplification.

Oh, and you won't get a decent sound out of the Acoustic Energy speakers. They sound like a tele neck pickup with a brass cover - muddy with zero clarity.
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 851
    Rocker said:
    try to get your TT to work properly.  It may need to be looked at by a hi-fi dealer who will get it setup correctly for you. And when it is back and working perfectly, leave it as it is.
    Regarding this bit mate! how would this make a difference, and how much is there in setting up a turntable, is this something I can do myself? Are you referring to that dangly weight thing at the back or something else? It was the only item from my setup that I bought new, the rest was second hand, I just assumed it would sound blinding out of the box!!!
  • You need to set the turntable up so that it is absolutely level. You can get circular spirit levels for it from Amazon - sit one on the platter and put business cards under the turntable's feet (or adjust them if they are adjustable) until the platter is level. Then adjust the height of the tonearm until it is absolutely level when playing a record. I usually do this by eye checking that the underside of the tonearm looks parallel to the record surface. Then adjust the counterbalance at the other end of the tonearm so that the tracking force is right for the spec of your stylus and cartridge You can also get tracking force balances from Amazon. Lastly adjust the lateral bias - there is usually a little wheel marked in the same units as tracking force or on some tonearms there is a tiny weight hanging on a spar that sticks out at 90 degrees to the tonearm - IIRC the more tracing force you use, the more lateral bias you need.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • GeeJayGeeJay Frets: 15
    I agree with the other guys in trying to experiment and get to the root of the problem.

However if it turns out to be a problem with the speakers, I got a pair of Yamaha HS5s a few months ago and they are great (hooked up to my turntables). Not going to break the bank, and the reviews are all very favourable. Plus they are active so no need for an amp. Definitely worth looking into.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4178
    uncledick said:
    lamf68 said:
    uncledick said:

Not audiophile, but far better than they ought to be for the money - and suit a small room.
    I bagged a pair of these from Richer for £25, a customer had returned them that morning and they'd been trying to flog them to someone all day. 

Anyway, muggins here bought them. They're hooked up to my sitting room telly, with an old Technics amp I was given. They sound very good indeed, and fill the 20 foot by 12 foot space nicely.  They're not bass-heavy (obvs) but there's plenty enough low-end there. 

Hi fi doesn't come much cheaper. :)
  • From the spec I'd say they were bass-light, and need fair amount of o/p power to drive (caveat: with a nominal impedance of 6 Ohms they might sound a bit "louder" than 8 Ohm speakers) but they ain't that efficient.

tbh I've always thought Wharfedale treble is harsh compared to Kef treble.