Yew - wood, wouldn't you?

What's Hot
A friend of mine is about the chop down an old yew tree in his garden. Would anyone know of someone (obviously I am thinking of a  guitar maker) who might be interested in the wood?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• A friend of mine is about the chop down an old yew tree in his garden. Would anyone know of someone (obviously I am thinking of a  guitar maker) who might be interested in the wood?

It works really well for acoustic guitars.

You could give the guys below a call to find out if they could deal with the Yew tree

http://www.primetimber.co.uk/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thank you, that is a good tip-off.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    How wide is the tree and whereabouts are you? Yew is a fantastic timber for turning and box making as well as guitars, but can be damned awkward due to all the bark inclusions.

Adam

• The tree is in mid-Wales and I believe is about 35-45cm in diameter - I have, though, occasionally been known to be wrong!
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    45 cm probably isnt wide enough for acoustic guitars, but someone with more experience might chime in.
    Still nice wood though.
  • Longbows would seem the obvious thing
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    tFB Trader
    The main thing about all this is getting the wood dried properly.  If air drying it will take years....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    Longbows would seem the obvious thing

Actually Yew in this country generally grows too fast to be good for bows. You really want Yew which has grown at high altitudes for that.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Plectrum said:

Actually Yew in this country generally grows too fast to be good for bows. You really want Yew which has grown at high altitudes for that.
    I’ll be certain to tell Henry V about this. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PlukkyPlukky Frets: 282
    Plectrum said:

I’ll be certain to tell Henry V about this. 
    I think he knew, which is why he imported yew for bows from Austria and Germany...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Treewig1Treewig1 Frets: 445
    I'm a sculptor and I've made three life-size human skulls from Yew.  Fabulous grain when polished, but very hard to work.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Would you have any pictures of your work - I would love to see it.
  • The tree is in mid-Wales and I believe is about 35-45cm in diameter - I have, though, occasionally been known to be wrong!
    Send this guy an email, he's in Monmouthshire and might be able to see the tree in person.

http://www.richardmeyrickguitars.co.uk/

• Thank you, that is great.