Anyone identify this amp??

What's Hot
jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 756
So seeing as I’m interested in trading my EZG for another Dr Z amp I had a quick look on eBay and came across this - the logo is unmistakeable but it’s a pretty poor copy if that’s the case. Anyone identify it, perhaps as a very, very early Z Mini or just some knockoff??
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Cant help with the id, but it would be interesting to know how he knows it is working without having a cab to use it with....
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    edited November 2017
    Screams fake. Wrong handle,wrong tolex, front baffle should be covered with grille cloth not tolex, DrZ doesn't fit a standby switch to these.

Email Mike Zaite and ask. 
    Reported to eBay. Note also the Chinese looking squiggles on the faceplate. Oh and the chassis us bottom mounted not top hung like all Z Minis.
  • hywelg said:
    Reported to eBay. Note also the Chinese looking squiggles on the faceplate. Oh and the chassis us bottom mounted not top hung like all Z Minis.
    Hmm, he didn’t advertise it as a Z so I’ll be interested to see what eBay do! The Chinese squiggles did seem odd but it doesn’t look like it’s ‘trying to be’ a Z, I don’t know what it is!!
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    Depends if Mike has the Z of his logo trademarked, seller does not claim it to be a Dr Z amp.

It is a totally illegal product though as it does not have the required CE marking to show that EU safety rules have been considered. would not touch it with a barge pole
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    I think it's a Zuton amp actually.

https://www.discogs.com/The-Zutons-Who-Killed-The-Zutons/release/738592

:)

I'm guessing it's a DIY 'replica', and as Modulus Amps said there is no guarantee it's properly made - at the very least I would want a competent tech to inspect it internally before going anywhere near it.

That said the early original Mini Zs are pretty poorly-made too, from the one I've seen and pics of others online...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WezVWezV Frets: 16725

Ignore the Z.     Its an untested amp project.  It has some value as a project, just based on what you can see.  It should be considered non-working when deciding what to pay

• jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 756
    edited November 2017
    Double post
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 756
    edited November 2017
    Thanks for your input guys - to be honest I was never in much danger of pulling the trigger, just interested if there was something that I didn’t know or not!!
    The letter 'Z' is a direct rip off of the DrZ 'Z' and therefore the seller is trying to pass it off as a DrZ amp. He has the 'Z' in the listing title. I've taken him to task about it and it seems he doesn't know what it is, but the inclusion of that Z and the shape of the letter on the faceplate makes me think someone is trying to con people.

Not only have I reported it to eBay I have also reported it to DrZ.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Cool, am interested in what the response might be!!
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    The mark of Zorro!
    tFB Trader
    hywelg said:
    The letter 'Z' is a direct rip off of the DrZ 'Z' and therefore the seller is trying to pass it off as a DrZ amp. He has the 'Z' in the listing title. I've taken him to task about it and it seems he doesn't know what it is, but the inclusion of that Z and the shape of the letter on the faceplate makes me think someone is trying to con people.

Not only have I reported it to eBay I have also reported it to DrZ.
    Just checked, it is trademarked so should be pulled
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    edited November 2017
    Modulus_Amps said:

I wonder if that's why the Zutons changed their band logo slightly too? The one I was joking about above - with the multiple zigzag - is only on the first release of their first album… all later versions and other albums have a simplified one with only one zigzag at the end and a spike on the top.

https://is3-ssl.mzstatic.com/image/thumb/Music/69/1f/49/mzi.xtympzme.jpg/268x0w.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/26/Who_Killed_The_Zutons.jpg

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    Keep the EZG and get an attenuator
    The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
    tFB Trader
    @ICBM said:
    Modulus_Amps said:

I wonder if that's why the Zutons changed their band logo slightly too? The one I was joking about above - with the multiple zigzag - is only on the first release of their first album… all later versions and other albums have a simplified one with only one zigzag at the end and a spike on the top.

https://is3-ssl.mzstatic.com/image/thumb/Music/69/1f/49/mzi.xtympzme.jpg/268x0w.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/26/Who_Killed_The_Zutons.jpg
    I can't imagine that would be the reason for the change, both of them are likely based on standard fonts with custom edits..

• SunDevil said:
    Keep the EZG and get an attenuator
    Ha it’s on the cards mate!!