BYOC - OD2 Difficulty?

Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
I have a bit of cash in my PayPal account and fancy a project so I'm seriously considering having a go building a pedal.
I can solder well enough to rewire a guitar but I've never had a go at circuit boards etc. I also used to work in Maplin and over time learned about different components so I understand what all the parts are and how they work together I've just never tried to actually use these components, just know enough about them to sell them.

So difficulty rating for a first timer? Should I start with something more basic? though reading the instructions the only thing that worries me is soldering components to the board.

And lastly is it any good?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1007
    I started with BYOC builds and they're great. I've done their classic overdrive, the tremolo, the chorus and the phase royal. They're all great. I'd recommend the tremolo. It's still the best sounding trem I've ever tried/built plus it doubles as a clean boost and its a very low parts build.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28663
    The onboard soldering is usually pretty simple; it's getting the offboard stuff neat that takes patience. You'll be fine.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • FezFez Frets: 533
    I have built a few and I agree with Sporky re the soldering. The Distortion+ is a really easy build to get you going then watch out cos it's addictive.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27205
    Echoing what's been said, just be careful and methodical and you'll be fine. My first kit was a BYOC Comp, and it still works 8 years later! :D
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28663
    Also - as with pretty much everything - if you find you're getting even remotely frustrated or angry, put it down and walk away for a bit.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    Tempted to have a crack at this Vemuram Jan Ray kit simply because of the outrageous price of the original.. http://www.bitsbox.co.uk/FXKits/Vemuram.html
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Thanks for the encouragement chaps. Byoc it is then, I'll post a thread when I'm done to let you know how I get on,
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    When you're done, can you build me an El Capistan and a Flint. £50 cover the parts?