string breakage

What's Hot
amarok1971amarok1971 Frets: 338
edited November 2017 in Guitar
I have used rotosounds forever, i started off with the pink 9-42's and have been on the 10-46 yellows for about 5 years now... i've never broken a string with the 10's, ever.

Last week i thought id try some d'addario EXL110 10-46 as a change, i put them on and immediately the top e snapped whilst stretching, i put a rotosound 10 on as a replacement as it was all i had. everything was then great and i was quite suprised how easy they were to bend compared to the rotos, the g string was easier to bend than the roto top e! then the d'addario b string snapped 10 mins later  they both snapped at the ball end btw.

I took them all off in disgust and put my old faves, the roto yellows on and everything is fine again...

Has anyone had this experience with them snapping so easily? they were a brand new pack and the qr code says they are genuine.

i'm quite disappointed to say the least, but was pleasantly suprised by how much slinkier the EXLs were in comparision.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14305
    tFB Trader
    I use D'addario all the time - both my own guitars and all guitars I re-string in the shop, so no don't see any issues - I might have broken the odd string, but certainly an isolated instant compared to how many sets I've used

Can't recall his Fretboard name but a D'addario representative is often on this site
  • I use D'addario all the time - both my own guitars and all guitars I re-string in the shop, so no don't see any issues - I might have broken the odd string, but certainly an isolated instant compared to how many sets I've used

Can't recall his Fretboard name but a D'addario representative is often on this site
    this is what i dont get, they're a very popular string, which is why i thought i'd try them. The e snapping i can (almost) understand, but the B to go only a few minutes later? strange
  • nope.
    I don't really care much about strings brand, so long as the gauge is good, I'm happy,D'Dario and EB both work very nicely.
    tFB Trader
    I use D'addario all the time - both my own guitars and all guitars I re-string in the shop, so no don't see any issues - I might have broken the odd string, but certainly an isolated instant compared to how many sets I've used

this is what i dont get, they're a very popular string, which is why i thought i'd try them. The e snapping i can (almost) understand, but the B to go only a few minutes later? strange
    no logical reason as to why the Rotos are okay before and after and the D'addario aren't other than a bad batch with a fault - only a guess
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11459

I've used D'Addario on all my guitars for a very long time (apart from a brief time where I used Newtones on my acoustics) and I'm not sure when I last broke a string.  It may well have been more than 5 years ago.

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2926
    edited November 2017 tFB Trader

Did the D'Adds come from fleabay by any chance, I'm fairly sure i had a set of fakes a while ago. The plating wasn't great, normally it's perfect. Now I buy from 'known' places only. Just a thought but D'Adds seem to be fairly common.

edit - meant to say "fake D's are common"

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    I had a similar experience with D'Addario actually. Mainly on Fenders. I have changed back to EB however I bought a set of Roto 11's out of necessity and to be fair they did go dead quicker than EB but they haven't deteriorated any further. I may give them another go at some point. 
  • Corvus said:
    Did the D'Adds come from fleabay by any chance, I'm fairly sure i had a set of fakes a while ago. The plating wasn't great, normally it's perfect. Now I buy from 'known' places only. Just a thought but D'Adds seem to be fairly common.
    yes, from these guys https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/D-039-Addario-EXL110-Electric-Guitar-Strings-10-46-Regular-Light-Gauge-/302546779616?#rwid the qr code got validated ok.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2926
    tFB Trader
    Call me suspicious but £3.88 delivered is extremely cheap vs what they normally are. Those type of accounts are often Chinese/offshore fronts, or a reseller of cheapnese things; the name, the 100k+ feedback, the random tat in their shop. Of course they might be totally legit but a QR code is just print so can be copied (I guess).
  • i only clicked on a 'bargain' link that someone on here posted last week! my roto yellows cost less than £3.50 a set.

Are all the qr codes different? i could understand the influx of chinese copies with all the same qr codes
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11459

I thought the codes were meant to be all different, but how many people actually go to the D'addario website to check?  I suspect it will be a relatively low percentage.  I've only started doing it recently and that's only because I can get free stuff eventually.

If the fakers are copying genuine ones, or have cracked the algorithm that generates them, and the code hasn't been registered before then the D'Addario site might well accept them.

I tend to buy from well known retailers.  I used to use Strings Direct but I must admit that recently I have bought from Amazon as they are significantly cheaper.  I'll only buy the ones Amazon sell themselves though, not from any of the third party resellers on Amazon.

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Corvus said:
    yes, from these guys https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/D-039-Addario-EXL110-Electric-Guitar-Strings-10-46-Regular-Light-Gauge-/302546779616?#rwid the qr code got validated ok.
    Errrm.. I just checked that seller's other items...

O M F G.
  • shit, how did i miss that? they'll be fakes alright  :s 
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Maynehead said:
    Corvus said:

O M F G.
    A broken B string means getting off lightly compared to other failures of their wares....
    tFB Trader
    See notes below that I've copied from an earlier blog under 'events' and from a customer who was talking about prices at the recent Aintree Liverpool Guitar Show - this ties in with your comments above @Maynehead ;

amarok1971 said:
    Corvus said:

O M F G.

Philtre said:

ref strings at £4 - taking black Friday deals out of the equation, as a matter of interest who now in the UK sells major brands like E ball, or D'addario at £4 a set - I thought those days had gone - our cost price has risen significantly in the last 2 years or so
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DAddario-EXL110-Electric-Guitar-Strings-10-46-Regular-Light-Gauge/302535197733?epid=16008271650&hash=item467080c425:g:XgQAAOSwGwlZ96ex

And, yes, they are genuine as I have some and checked the s/n

• thanks, i even downloaded the d'addario pdf which helps you spot for counterfeit ones and mine appear to ring true (ha!) i have another 2 sets of them  B)
  • See notes below that I've copied from an earlier blog under 'events' and from a customer who was talking about prices at the recent Aintree Liverpool Guitar Show - this ties in with your comments above @Maynehead ;

amarok1971 said:
    Corvus said:

O M F G.

Philtre said:

ref strings at £4 - taking black Friday deals out of the equation, as a matter of interest who now in the UK sells major brands like E ball, or D'addario at £4 a set - I thought those days had gone - our cost price has risen significantly in the last 2 years or so
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DAddario-EXL110-Electric-Guitar-Strings-10-46-Regular-Light-Gauge/302535197733?epid=16008271650&hash=item467080c425:g:XgQAAOSwGwlZ96ex

Er, is there something going on with my phone's cache or are they the same seller?
    tFB Trader
    clarkefan said:
    See notes below that I've copied from an earlier blog under 'events' and from a customer who was talking about prices at the recent Aintree Liverpool Guitar Show - this ties in with your comments above @Maynehead ;

amarok1971 said:
    Corvus said:

O M F G.

Philtre said:

Er, is there something going on with my phone's cache or are they the same seller?
    yes same seller - sorry that was my point - and yes have a look at other items they are selling and as someone suggested O M F G
  • I've used D'Addario EXL115's since I can remember and I don't recall ever having broken a string using them. I generally buy them cheap off ebay too, maybe i've just been lucky and always received genuine ones.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    thanks, i even downloaded the d'addario pdf which helps you spot for counterfeit ones and mine appear to ring true (ha!) i have another 2 sets of them  B)
    Do the ones you have left smell funny?