Bassbreaker 007/15 vs Line 6 DT25?

johnljohnl Frets: 2011
Hey guys, looking for a cheapish valve amp. Really only going to be used at bedroom volumes, having read a fair few reviews both the Bassbreakers and DT25s seem to be fairly well thought of and with some recent price drops they cost around the same these days. Any thoughts on which to go for?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    @johnl, I don’t think either garner much love around these parts.. laws of supply and demand likely suggest the prices!

The BB 15 is meant to be OK, but it really depends on what you intend to do with it and your budget?
    The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Neither. Two of the worst-sounding amps I've ever heard. (Although I haven't tried the 15W Bassbreaker, just the 7W one... which was truly awful.)

For bedroom volume I would probably get a good modeller or a hybrid like the Fender Super Champ XD, they actually sound better at low volumes than most cheaper valve amps these days.

Have a look at the 'under £400' range on Thomann... I've played most of these apart from the VHT, and every single one of them sounds better than the Bassbreaker or the DT25, even the little Blackstar HT-1. I'm not even a huge fan of the Vox AC4, but it's still far better.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/tube_guitar_combos.html?oa=pra

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• With the DT25 as I understand it that has a low volume mode which engages amp modelling to compensate for the lack of push on it's valves so for bedroom use you are listening to a modeller rather than valves anyway. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBM said:
    Neither. Two of the worst-sounding amps I've ever heard. (Although I haven't tried the 15W Bassbreaker, just the 7W one... which was truly awful.)

For bedroom volume I would probably get a good modeller or a hybrid like the Fender Super Champ XD, they actually sound better at low volumes than most cheaper valve amps these days.

Have a look at the 'under £400' range on Thomann... I've played most of these apart from the VHT, and every single one of them sounds better than the Bassbreaker or the DT25, even the little Blackstar HT-1. I'm not even a huge fan of the Vox AC4, but it's still far better.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/tube_guitar_combos.html?oa=pra
    What he said, both those amps are rubbish
  • For a bedroom amp you cant go wrong with the blackstar ht5r head, its a well made and reliable little amp. At bedroom and nagging wife volumes it can be a shade dark so in my opinion a tubescreamer type pedal , Digitech bad monkey or mooer green mile are cheap as chips used and trim all the low end and add top end presence you need. 

I have a ht5r and zilla cab in the bedroom , for classic rock and blues i kick on the maxon od808 in front of it, if i want to push things into paint peeling gain i also kick on my bd2 blues driver which i gain stack. For the price i dont think the ht5r head can be beat.