Questions about Fuzz & Buffers...

What's Hot
skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
This could be absolutely stupid sounding but here goes... 

Help me understand things! Lol. 

I’ve heard fuzz pedals don’t like buffers.. 
I’m currently using a Boss Tu-3, a Boss Oc-3 and an angel wing in my chain. I know the 2 Boss pedals have buffers, the third is true bypass.

However, I considered picking up a tone city fuxx fuzz as its cheap. But after reading up on fuzz disliking buffers, it could just be a waste of money if it doesnt work properly eh! 

This led me to think about the Boss Fz-5 Fuzz pedal.. I understand its basically a modelling pedal, a digital replication of fuzz sounds rather than a typical fuzz box circuit? Either way, being Boss, it has a buffer.. 

So my ridiculous question is..

Does the Boss fz-5 play well with buffers or other Boss pedals containing buffers?

Also, as my Tu-3 is first in chain, from my understanding it acts as a buffer, because it contains a buffered bypass. Same as my Oc-3 which is second in chain I guess. 

Now, my guitar cable is plugged into the input of the tu-3 obviously, and the patch cable from the tu-3 comes out of its ‘output’ jack, not its ‘bypass’ output jack. 
This is so when I stomp on the tu-3, it mutes any guitar sound while tuning. 

So my second question is, even if the tu-3 is off, like when I’m not stomping on it and tuning, is it still acting as a buffer? 

If so, I presume Boss pedals always draw some power even when off to power the buffer? I guess this is why the input jack also acts as a power switch, so if you are running off of battery power, you’d want to disconnect any cables from the input jack after use. 

Trying to learn about it all! 

Thanks for any insight!
The only easy day, was yesterday...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• There is no reason why Fuzz can't be 1st in the chain, freeing you up to buy what you like. 

You could run Fuzz - OC3 - Angel Wing - TU3 - AMP
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • As I understand it (and there are guys here will be able to explain the tech side in detail) your tu3 is always buffering. I have a fuzz that I run first, then my tu2 and on through my chain as normal which includes a range of true bypass and buffered boss pedals. This way my fuzz is still able to do all the nuances of a good fuzz (cleans up when rolling back volume, interactions with different pickups) without the buffer souping up the signal to a more constant level. 

There is certainly no reason to miss out on all that fuzzy goodness because you are running a few boss pedals.
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    A boss buffer can actually help a wah interact with a fuzz. I have a dedicated fuzz buffer that turns the fuzz into a drive; with an increase in the buffer, it begins to bloom into fuzz territory, similar to late Hendrix. Even my Gigrig G2 had a slight effect on the fuzz making it a little tighter. 
  • Like it's been said above stick the fuzz before the buffer and they will be fine. Some fuzzes don't mind a buffer and will have no issues.
    The boss fz-5 will be fine wherever you stick it but I wouldn't recommend as it sounds absolutely gash
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Like it's been said above stick the fuzz before the buffer and they will be fine. Some fuzzes don't mind a buffer and will have no issues.
    The boss fz-5 will be fine wherever you stick it but I wouldn't recommend as it sounds absolutely gash
    Wsdom. Get the FZ-2 - That's a really good one.
  • Magnetic_EffectsMagnetic_Effects Frets: 135
    tFB Trader
    Boss fuzz pedal work fine with buffers.

There are a number of fuzz pedals that work fine with buffers also. All mine do.
  • #notallfuzzes

Fuzz faces and their derivatives (but not all of them) need to be first in the chain because of the way they interact with your guitar's pickups, but Big Muffs don't. 

You'll either hear a difference- like a night and day difference- with the fuzz after the buffer, or you won't. If your fuzz doesn't like being after a buffer, put it before- you'll want it early in the chain anyway. Job done. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• All pedals act as buffers when they're engaged. When people say "buffered pedal" they generally mean buffered bypass---and all Boss pedals do this. So to answer your question, yes the TU-3 buffers when it's not on. 

With regards to Fuzz pedals and buffers, yes, some (not all!) fuzz pedals don't play well after buffers but they're all fine before buffers. If this is the case just put your fuzz first in the chain before the tuner.

The Fuxx Fuzz appears to be based on a vintage Foxx Tone Machine so I suspect that you'd want it up front before the TU-3. Have fun! 
  • Also, when people say "doesn't work after a buffer" they don't mean that it literally doesn't work. Just that the sound and response isn't quite the same. You won't break anything by trying. 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Thanks all for the advice. 
    Right, so i’m looking at the Electro Harmonix Russian big muff. Mainly beause it looks freaking awesome, but also seems to get good reviews. 

The standard bigg muff pi ones arent much different in price, so they are also an option.

Any thoughts?

I do play with emg actives a lot, and also its going to be through a clean channel on the katana 50, so solid state. I wonder if I’ll get useable fuzz out of it?
    i presume these muff fuzzes are pretty high gain, being a fuzz type pedal. But any insight is always appreciated!  
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Some fuzzes don't like solid state amps, although I think that's more a Fuzz Face issue. I've only used fuzz with valve amps so maybe someone with a Katana can give you a little more advice about that specific amp?
  • Muff is a very smooth fuzz. Russian is quite dark sounding (the bass fuzz was based on it)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72340
    skunkwerx said:

I do play with emg actives a lot, and also its going to be through a clean channel on the katana 50, so solid state. I wonder if I’ll get useable fuzz out of it?
    If you're using EMGs the buffer question is a moot point anyway since the pickups are buffered. In this case it's unlikely you'll hear much or any difference with another buffer in front of the fuzz.

As already said the Big Muff is fairly immune to buffering issues.

But as also already said, the Boss FZ-2 is even better - the actual fuzz circuit is a copy of the Shin-Ei FY-6 (AKA Univox Superfuzz), plus it has active EQ as well as the two fuzz modes so you can get a huge variety of sounds - and it even has a clean boost mode (bypassing the fuzz, the EQ still works) if you get bored of fuzz. The bad news is that they're discontinued and not all that cheap nowadays. But they are my favourite fuzz ever - even more than the one I named myself after...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein