Re-voicing unused DRRI channel?

noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 798
edited December 2017 in Amps
A little while back I had my 65 modded for reverb on both channels which are now also in phase. Around that time I also put a Cannabis Rex in there, which is a lot clearer and more responsive at lower volumes than the stock Jensen, as well as being louder and smoother when the amp is wound up.

I’m finding myself using the modded ‘normal’ channel exclusively now, without even blending any bright channel in there - I find the reverb circuit adds just the right anount of presence so there’s plenty of clarity for clean and OD sounds at whatever volume.

I don’t *have* to use the other channel, obviously. I was just thinking next time it goes in for a service it might be interesting to remove the bright cap, and try a different EQ voicing, maybe open out the mids a bit as they’re naturally a bit scooped. This is where being able to blend the channels could be useful to give the mids a bit of a lift without upsetting the apple cart.

Equally I could have the bright cap clipped and just try some different preamp valves in that channel - 12AT7, or Tung Sol instead of JJ etc. Would be quite interesting to do some A/B comparisons I suppose.

Anyone got any suggestions?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom