Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Broken Guitar

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16735
    The design is weaker than other designs so I see where @icbm is coming from but don’t share the extreme view.

some Gibson’s are fragile through poor wood choice. Most are fine and will survive to a ripe old age without any special care.  

it is an easy one to improve at point of manufacture.  Gibson have done so with reduced headstock angles, laminated necks, wood changes and even the less successful volute.  The traditionally minded guitar market has rejected all of those solutions

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Will_SWill_S Frets: 13
    Broken guitar is now fixed, I'm pleased to say. Thanks for the reassurance and help.
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    Will_S said:
    Broken guitar is now fixed, I'm pleased to say. Thanks for the reassurance and help.
    That's great news. Have you photos of the repair you can post and can you tell us who did it? It'll be valuable info for future mishaps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11615
    tFB Trader
    Will_S said:
    Great news 
    Pleased it worked out 

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Glad you got the Guitar fixed. I have an L.P and it is a bit of a worry. I'm gonna post this vid purely because it's very interesting, not because I think people should shell loads of dosh for one of these.

It shows how a certain Luthier gets around this neck break problem on an L.P style Guitar. It's worth watching all of it but especially from 0:00 to 1:00 and then 2:41 to the end. The previous episode is worth a watch too. Probably a lot of other Luthiers use this method too.

Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4931
    The LP (and SG) have quite thin necks and the headstock is at an angle which means it protrudes below the flat of the body.

It makes them vulnerable to breaking if there is a significant impact there.

That's the way they are designed and that's the way they are.

Some say that a Gibbo isn't really played in until it's had a headstock repair.

Some also say that a Gibbo should either be being played or in its case.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22995
    Glad you got the Guitar fixed. I have an L.P and it is a bit of a worry. I'm gonna post this vid purely because it's very interesting, not because I think people should shell loads of dosh for one of these.

It shows how a certain Luthier gets around this neck break problem on an L.P style Guitar. It's worth watching all of it but especially from 0:00 to 1:00 and then 2:41 to the end. The previous episode is worth a watch too. Probably a lot of other Luthiers use this method too.

I'd been thinking about that bit where someone stood on a neck to test the strength of the headstock, but I couldn't remember where I'd seen it.  Thanks for posting!

After watching that I went to see what Ruokangas are up to now, I hadn't heard them mentioned for a while.  Wow, what a website!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72483
    Glad you got the Guitar fixed. I have an L.P and it is a bit of a worry. I'm gonna post this vid purely because it's very interesting, not because I think people should shell loads of dosh for one of these.

[Ruokangas Guitars Video Diary Episode 6 - Neck Building]
    Exactly, and Gibson could very easily do that too - even without scarf-joining the headstock, it will be far stronger... and completely invisible from the outside, thus not an issue for anyone other than the most retentive purists.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:

Exactly, and Gibson could very easily do that too - even without scarf-joining the headstock, it will be far stronger... and completely invisible from the outside, thus not an issue for anyone other than the most retentive purists.
    I did wonder that @ICBM ;

With Ruokangas being a "slightly" high end brand, building to order mainly, I thought it might have been a cost issue for Gibson, them being a mass producer of Guitars. Would it still be feasible cost wise for Gibson?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It is a great website @Philly_Q and a very dangerous one if you have spare cash :)
    It would cost less than weight-relieving the bodies with a complex routing pattern, so yes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    It would cost less than weight-relieving the bodies with a complex routing pattern, so yes.
    It beggars belief then. So many things about some Guitar companies make me scratch a hole in my head.
    Exactly. But my guess is that they perceive no marketing benefit in it, unlike weight relief. If anything, they may prefer them to break since some people aren’t happy with a repair and may buy a new one instead.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22995
    edited December 2017
    It is a great website @Philly_Q and a very dangerous one if you have spare cash
    @Bellycaster I downloaded their Guitar Creator app/program/thingy this morning and tried spec-ing a Duke - it came out as about 9,000 Euros.

Then I uninstalled the Guitar Creator. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    edited December 2017
    ICBM said:

https://i.imgur.com/WTDnnwE.gif
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11615
    tFB Trader
    We did the strengthening splints on the Judas Priest guitar repair/rebuild to make sure he wouldn't be breaking it again 
    We used carbon fibre rods instead of maple

Full story can be seen here:

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4931
    Here's a few repair stories from a chap up the road from me.

http://mickjohnsonguitars.com/repairs/index.html

(The Zematis one is a body rebuild, using the soundhole inlay and not much else.)

I don't disagree, since it's unlikely that Gibson will fix it. But if enough people decide that it's an issue, maybe they will - it took quite a long time for moaning about the weight of them to register as well...

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31629
    ICBM said:
    I don't disagree, since it's unlikely that Gibson will fix it. But if enough people decide that it's an issue, maybe they will - it took quite a long time for moaning about the weight of them to register as well...
    To be fair, you're going to see a lot of broken headstocks because of your job, most of us just tend to think of them as a bit like iPhone screens - pathetically weak and too-easily broken, but at least it's mostly (but not always) up to the owner to just be careful. Wishful thinking a lot of the time, I know. 

Amps are a different matter, if you see a lot of issues with one particular model I will avoid it. 

• I feel like this is just one of the things that might improve when the company gets new owners after it inevitably defaults next summer. 

If they can also look at properly, accurately CNC-ed neck joints while they're at it that'd be great.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires