Princeton reverb issue

What's Hot
dannyboy82dannyboy82 Frets: 150

Hi,

I have recently picked up a used 65 reissue Princeton reverb which sounds superb but is showing up a strange issue with the reverb.

Basically, upon firing up I’d say the reverb works from the off 2/3 of the time but on the other occasions there’s nothing. It always kicks in after 5 or so minutes of playing and once on, doesn’t falter again. The reverb sounds exactly as it should when working.

I’ve changed the v2 12at7 for a brand new groove tube but the issue still remains.

Any ideas what it could be? Could I be causing any damage using the amp?

Other than the reverb issue it sounds perfect and runs really quietly.

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Cheers,

Dan
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    It will be a bad connection somewhere, it could be almost anywhere in the drive or return circuit. From the description that it's probably heat-related and never falters once it's working, I would guess something on one of the valve bases (V2 or V3 - V2 is just the drive valve) or possibly the V3 valve itself.

It's unlikely you'll be doing any harm, unless it's a bad connection in the reverb tank send transducer or the cabling to it which would leave the drive transformer with no load - but from the description that doesn't sound the most likely.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Sometimes the rca connectors on the reverb send & return can loosen up and not make proper contact. Try giving the leads that connect the reverb tank to the amp a bit of a wiggle. I get this on one of my fender amps. A gentle squeeze with pliers can help tighten them up.
    The Swamp City Shakers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• Thanks for the feedback chaps, it’s not like I’m gigging or anything so as it sounds so good and is not causing any damage I’ll probably leave it as is.

I guess a service/repair should be factored in at some stage. Any idea where I could take it in the Herts area?