Laney L20t v Fender Blues Jnr

What's Hot
ErskineErskine Frets: 6
I was originally looking for some info on valves for my Laney L20t and found that on this site, but thought that I would post this question and see if anyone has any advice.

I have a Laney and like the amp but have always hankered after a Blues Jnr. However, not having played one do not know how different it is to the Laney and if it would be a waste of an investment. The Laney is good for rockier blues and has quite a biting edge to it. I think that the Blues Jnr may be more mellow and a bit more chimy. Am I right in thinking this?

Also, I play at home only and the Laney is a loud amp, but not too loud and I can use it at home. But I am not sure if the Blues Jnr compares to this in terms of output.

Does anyone have any experience of both amps and can they give any advice?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Yes. Keep the Laney.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I’ve had both. The Laney destroys the BJ. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Laney. Nae contest.
  • The Blues Jnr is a stinker. Keep the Laney. 
  • Really? That surprises me. I thought the Blues Jnr was highly thought of. I was not actually thinking of getting rid of the Laney. I just thought that the Blues Jnr would have a different tone and would provide some good variety. A bit smoother, more chimy and less edgy drive?
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    Go and try one for yourself. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• I quite liked the Blues Junior I had but would be more tempted by the 15w Bassbreaker if I was looking now.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Erskine said:
    Really? That surprises me. I thought the Blues Jnr was highly thought of. I was not actually thinking of getting rid of the Laney. I just thought that the Blues Jnr would have a different tone and would provide some good variety. A bit smoother, more chimy and less edgy drive?
    Less edgy in the same way as the Laney would be less edgy if you put it under a pile of blankets, and with a similar greater tendency to catch fire.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MattFGBI said:
    Go and try one for yourself. 
    Yep, I know that is the answer. But it is useful to have other opinions. Particularly if there are others with experience of both of these amps.
  • blues jr is rubbish, steer well clear

• the_twinthe_twin Frets: 130
    Stick with the Laney. My Blues Jr caught fire. Now the box contains a Session Blues Baby. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    ICBM said:
    Erskine said:
    Really? That surprises me. I thought the Blues Jnr was highly thought of. I was not actually thinking of getting rid of the Laney. I just thought that the Blues Jnr would have a different tone and would provide some good variety. A bit smoother, more chimy and less edgy drive?
    Less edgy in the same way as the Laney would be less edgy if you put it under a pile of blankets, and with a similar greater tendency to catch fire.
    It's really unlike you to sit on the fence about something..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom