DI pedal with speaker sim

What's Hot
monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
Not totally sure what I'm after so where better to ask?

For a simple setup I'm thinking of putting a DI pedal of some sort at the end of my pedalboard meaning I can either play though headphones direct from the board or go direct to a pa.

Looked at the Carl Martin rock bug and also thought of just buying a second hand line 6  pod to nail to the board

Any wisdom?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72340
    If you don't need the headphone option then a simple emulated DI box will do it.

Active - Hughes & Kettner Red Box
    Passive - Peavey EDI

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited December 2017

The older Digitech X Series pedals - like the Bad Monkey for example have a speaker emulated DI output as well as the regular none emulated. Never used it with headphones when I had a BM but I remember being impressed with the emulated output when I lent it to another guitarist that joined a band I was in a few yeas ago - this was just in a rehearsal room but he plugged just a mex standard strat into the BM and the emulated output direct to PA and I was like "wow...that sounds really good!" o So cheap as chips solution - the old Digitech X Series pedals all have the emulated output...not sure if the newer hardwire ones do?

So if at the end of your board a digidelay or digiverb...or just run a digi dirt pedal and go emulated out to the rest of the chain I'm sure that'd still work. No need for a dedicated emulator!!

for example........

https://digitech.com/en/products/digiverb ;

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Depends how much you want to spend
    mooer di box has a crap cab emulation for 25 quid
    blu Guitar blue box models multiple cabinets for 200 quid
    two notes captor plays Irs and takes an amp load in case your speaker blows for about the same
     I gigged for years with the h and k redboxes and it was perfectly acceptable
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    I still use an Award-Session JD10 Mk1 to go direct to the PA. It's cheap, effective, tough as boots, all-analog, and the speaker sim's pretty okay. It's also rather good as a recording pre, last-in-chain global EQ pedal, or overdrive. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I've got a Carl Martin Rock Bug but I think it sounds awful. Very unnatural, boxy and muffled even on the open cab setting. Wouldn't recommend it, ever.
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    @Sassafras ;
    Thanks for that. Was really tempted to just buy one and try it out but I'll cross it off the list
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    What about the new Neunaber Iconoclast?

https://neunaber.net/products/iconoclast

I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • KKJale said:
    I still use an Award-Session JD10 Mk1 to go direct to the PA. It's cheap, effective, tough as boots, all-analog, and the speaker sim's pretty okay. It's also rather good as a recording pre, last-in-chain global EQ pedal, or overdrive. 
    I've been using them for years as well. I've got four - one as my main light overdrive or 'second amp channel' on my main board, two as stereo speaker sim/preamp for direct recording and one as spare/ out and about use. I also have the simpler MB-10 (clean DI with guitar eq and speaker sim) which also works well - that currently resides in a mate's studio setup.

Of the more modern/digital options, the Neunaber Iconoclast looks a good get for end-of-effects board headphone monitoring.
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271
    Palmer Pocket Amp MkII ?
    its a DI, and via footswitch on, an amp with cab simulator + EQ and gain. also headphone practice amp with 9v battery option.
    Here's a video of it on the end of a pedalboard, into a 'pa' style FRFR speaker.

I have one boxed and mint for £55 if you'd like it. Never got it to sound as good as the various demo's - but thats prob not the unit! And to be fair, have barely used it enough to do it justice...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    edited December 2017
    @timbuk02 ;;
    Funnily enough I've just been looking at them on the net.
    I'll take it. Will pm you now
    Jase
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271
    edited December 2017
    also the MOOER Radar looks pretty impressive but don't think its out yet
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VxyrCedmyQ
  • I highly recommend the Palmer pocket amp, its a very versatile tool for practice/headphones and sounds great going DI to a PA/Soundcard. I manged to dial in a tone very similar to my Fender Blues Deluxe, it sounds almost identical
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    That Palmer Pocket Amp looks a hell of a lot more versatile than the Rock Bug.