What’s Good all round speakers for rock / punk / metal / crossover ?,

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
I play a Les Paul into a jcm800 half stack .
I play in a few bands , I play garage punk rock (kinda like dictators /  hellacopters) , nwobhm, and I also play in a crossover band , so thrashy hardcore as well. I also enjoy 70s rock .

im playing an old jcm800 4x12 with 1979 g12-65’s in . Before that I used to play the same rig into a Zella 2x12 with g12h creambacks .

can anyone recommend me a decent cab that will suit all of these styles of music ? I did think of having a rock setup and a metal setup but can’t really afford 2 rigs !
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72357
    riffpowers said:

can anyone recommend me a decent cab that will suit all of these styles of music ?
    A JCM800 cab with G12-65s.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    riffpowers said:

can anyone recommend me a decent cab that will suit all of these styles of music ?
    A JCM800 cab with G12-65s.
    You think I’m already using the best cab for the job ??!
    riffpowers said:

You think I’m already using the best cab for the job ??!
    Yes - you certainly can't go far wrong with it. It's what was used for a lot of the original music - JCM or late JMP cabs which are constructionally identical, with a variety of speakers but of which G12-65s are generally thought to be the best.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • +1 on the G12-65's with a JCM800. perfect combination. Maybe try the G12-80's if you want a bit more volume and headroom, and a bigger sound. The larger magnet is the only difference. So long as you stick to the same T-numbers that Marshall used and not some obscure model (there are about 80 or 90 different versions of the original G12-65 and G12-80).

If you're not happy with the tone maybe the amp and cab are not the problem but how you are using them and the other things you are plugging into them. Try going straight in (no pedals) and just dime that sucker until it distorts. Les Paul into Marshall is a classic rig.
  • Thanks guys . I’ll stick at it !
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Or try the new v-types, they’ve been a revelation for me! 
  • If you're looking for some variety then stick to the 65s and try an eq pedal :)
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I’ve got Classic Lead - really like them!
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    What about mixing up speakers? I run a 4x12 with a mix of g12-75's and V30's. They seem to compliment each other well and i've no complaints about using them for hard rock/metal. 
    nick79 said:
    What about mixing up speakers? I run a 4x12 with a mix of g12-75's and V30's. They seem to compliment each other well and i've no complaints about using them for hard rock/metal. 
    As Bygone_Tones said, a mix of G12-65s and G12-80s sounds great - the classic method is a 1960A cab with 65s on top of a 1982B cab with 80s, but if you don’t want a full stack then putting a pair of each in one cab works very well. I would put the 65s at the top rather than an ‘x pattern’.

G12T-75s and V30s in a x pattern also works really well, for more of a hard rock/metal sound.