Dual Rectifier MK1 advice needed

What's Hot
LKV_JazzmasterLKV_Jazzmaster Frets: 163
edited December 2017 in Amps
Hi

Ive recently convinced the other half that before we start saving for our wedding she should let me have one final GAS (thankfully I think she understood that I mean until the wedding not permanently!) and having ordered a guitar on Black Friday and managed to convince her to let me upgrade my amp as well (as long as I stay out of the wedding planning. Haha)

I’ve got my eye on a Mesa Dual Rec locally and it is one of the earlier models. So straight 100watts. It also comes with a power converter because it’s an import. 

Before I go check it out this weekend I was wondering if anyone has any idea of problems to look out for as well as any experience of having to constanty
run the power converter?

Ive only really ever had Marshall’s before and currently a 6505MH so I’m abit out of my comfort zone. 

thanks in advance 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    I've not any experience with the big Rec's but i run my Mini Rec with a power converter as it's also an import and i've not had any problems. Just make sure you don't ever plug it straight into the mains!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72362
    Is it a "power converter" (ie a small lightweight box with a couple of solid-state components in) or a proper stepdown transformer (a large heavy box)? Don't use a power converter with an amp, they're for heating appliances like hairdryers only really. If it's a proper stepdown transformer (rated for at least 300VA, preferably 500) then it's safe to use indefinitely.

If it's an original 2-channel Dual Rec, make sure *all* the functions and modes are working properly, including the FX loop, vintage/modern switching etc - these are all controlled by opto-coupler switches which are a bit prone to failure.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    Ooops yes, i got the name wrong. It's a stepdown transformer i use, rated at 500w. 

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    The cleans on those are notoriously rubbish so make sure you can get a sound you like out of the green channel, with the guitar you're planning to use on it.
    Maynehead said:
    The cleans on those are notoriously rubbish so make sure you can get a sound you like out of the green channel, with the guitar you're planning to use on it.
    'Notoriously' as in people who have never played one think they're rubbish? :)

I agree they don't have as much headroom as you would expect for a 100W amp, but the actual clean tone is fantastic.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Maynehead said:
    'Notoriously' as in people who have never played one think they're rubbish? :)

I agree they don't have as much headroom as you would expect for a 100W amp, but the actual clean tone is fantastic.
    Yes, exactly.

Although fantastic is also a subjective term. I like my clean to be bright and sparkly, so I would argue the slightly mid heavy cleans of the MK I are not as good as some of its successors.
  • LuminousLuminous Frets: 210
    Maynehead said:
    I haven't used a recto for years ( I have a mesa heartbreaker ) but the best clean country sound I have ever got was using a tele through the clean channel of a modelled recto.....go figure
  • ICBM said:
    Is it a "power converter" (ie a small lightweight box with a couple of solid-state components in) or a proper stepdown transformer (a large heavy box)? Don't use a power converter with an amp, they're for heating appliances like hairdryers only really. If it's a proper stepdown transformer (rated for at least 300VA, preferably 500) then it's safe to use indefinitely.

If it's an original 2-channel Dual Rec, make sure *all* the functions and modes are working properly, including the FX loop, vintage/modern switching etc - these are all controlled by opto-coupler switches which are a bit prone to failure.

I’ve just checked and it’s definately a transformer so that’s good to know. Thanks for that one @ICBM ;

thanks for all the pointers guys! 

Luckily I’m not too bothered about clean the clean channel. It’s easier to get away with mistakes when everything is covered in a nice veil of distortion @Maynehead ;
    edited December 2017
    Hey all I was trying to say was “don’t forget to test the cleans to make sure you’re happy with them”. It’s a common oversight to not spend enough time on the clean channel when testing out high gain amps.

I wasn’t trying to start a debate on the pros and cons of the mk1’s clean tone.

Edit: that wasn’t directed at you @LKV_Jazzmaster , if you’re not too bothered with the cleans then the amp should be perfect because the distortion on the mk1 is some of the best out of the whole rectifier series.
    Maynehead said:

@LKV_Jazzmaster , if you’re not too bothered with the cleans then the amp should be perfect because the distortion on the mk1 is some of the best out of the whole rectifier series.
    Edited for accuracy ;).

Personally I prefer the Trem-o-verb, but that's really just a Mk 1 Recto with reverb and tremolo - although there is the 'Blues' mode that the normal Recto doesn't have. I only really used that and the clean channel for playing with a band, although I did use both of the high-gain modes for having fun at home :).

But the full-on distortion from the original standard Recto is the iconic modern heavy guitar sound - the amp that redefined what high-gain distorted guitar is, and which has never really been surpassed after more than twenty years, even though there are amps which have more gain - it's not quite as 'high gain' as its reputation suggests.

Hey I put that bit you crossed out in just for you @ICBM ! Just so you can’t jump in with your “but the Tremoverb is better” blurb.

You just can’t win sometimes... ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Maynehead said:
    Hey I put that bit you crossed out in just for you @ICBM ! Just so you can’t jump in with your “but the Tremoverb is better” blurb.

lol

The Trem-o-verb would be better if there was some way of bypassing the whole reverb and tremolo section - it definitely does change the tone even when both effects are off, and to me it makes the sound more open (which I prefer), and improves the clean sound but takes away some of the directness and aggression of the distortion - if you want that absolutely definitive Recto tone you do want the standard one.

• Maynehead said:

Hahaha ;)

ICBM said:

But the full-on distortion from the original standard Recto is the iconic modern heavy guitar sound - the amp that redefined what high-gain distorted guitar is, and which has never really been surpassed after more than twenty years, even though there are amps which have more gain - it's not quite as 'high gain' as its reputation suggests.
    And that’s exactly the sound I’m chasing :)