Picking the right speakers for a Super Reverb inspired 4x10 cab.

What's Hot
WillEdmundsWillEdmunds Frets: 168
edited December 2017 in Amps
Looking to match my Morgan SW22R head with a 4x10 cab, aiming for somewhere between the sound/spec of a Deluxe Reverb and a Super Reverb!

I'm tempted to combine a pair of Celestion Golds with something like a pair of Jensens or Webers. Does this sound like a good idea or would the Golds be best matched with some Celestion Ceramics the way Joe Morgan does in his "Gold" 2x12 cabs?

Or maybe I should just do like Matt Schofield and get me some Eminence Ragin' Cajuns!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I put a pair of Cajuns at the bottom and a pair of Jensen P10Qs up top in my old Traynor Super Reverb-alike. It was bloody amazing.
  • WillEdmundsWillEdmunds Frets: 168
    edited December 2017
    I put a pair of Cajuns at the bottom and a pair of Jensen P10Qs up top in my old Traynor Super Reverb-alike. It was bloody amazing.
    Sounds like a good combination!
  • I have a 1964 Cesar Diaz modded Deluxe Reverb with a Celestion G12H Creamback 75 and it works beautifully. Lots of sparkle, clarity and projection. The Super Reverb is a different sound altogether tho'.
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    edited December 2017
    I have a zilla oversided 4 x 10 with Celestion golds in, I use it with a Dr Z EGZ, and it's a mega super reverb sound. As always you're welcome to try the cab

-- edit typed 4 x 12 intead of 4 x 10, corrected --
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Ragin Cajuns are supposed to be excellent with Fender BF amps
  • MartinBMartinB Frets: 214
    I really liked the high end sparkle of the Eminence 1028k, but it broke up too early for me as a single speaker.  If I was loading up a 4x10", I'd think about using two or four of those.  
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30939
    have a look at George Alessandro's speakers Amazing and cheapish

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darcym said:
    I have a zilla oversided 4 x 10 with Celestion golds in, I use it with a Dr Z EGZ, and it's a mega super reverb sound. As always you're welcome to try the cab

-- edit typed 4 x 12 intead of 4 x 10, corrected --
    I'd love to try that cab with my Morgan some time mate. Bet the Golds sound killer with the EZG-50. What dimensions did you go for with the cab? 
  • I put 2 George allesando 10s which are ceramic and 2 eminence 1028 alnico in my 1971 super reverb and it sounds great.  Als not too heavy which is a bonus.  Must get round to selling my Jensen 10s!