2 Boss SD-1 Pedals

What's Hot
gubblegubble Frets: 1747

Recently took delivery of a Digitech Whammy which has caused me to run out of space on my pedalboard. Rather than buying a bigger board I've shuffled things around and am in the position where my Klone no longer fits on the board, but I do have space for another Boss Pedal.

So I've bagged a cheap Boss SD-1 meaning I now have two on the board. One is for the low gain drive sound and the other as a solo boost. I've also a BD2 on there for the higher gain stuff.

Am I mad?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Yes, you're mad for having a Digitech Whammy.
     :) 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Why not.  The only reason I didn't have 2 when running a valve amp rig was that I already had another drive pedal (I also had one for a low gain drive on clean, and one for a boost for high gain).

I'll raise you two SD1s and admit I own two ODB3s.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72493
    I have two DF-2s. And both of them are the rarer early 'lawsuit' version with Distortion first, so ner :).

To be honest I probably wouldn't pick two SD-1s, since I don't find they stack well - I'd probably go with something different that can be used in any combination with the other two, so you can have up to seven overdrive sounds. Finding one that will sound good with both the SD-1 and the BD-2 at the same time could be tricky, but I would probably try a DS-1, or a... DF-2 ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Not tried 2 SD-1s but I stack OD's all the time - tis my standard thing for solo's....but sometimes two middy sounding pedals gets too much and sounds a bit honky....usally better with the 2nd in the chain having the most mids. That said if you like it fairy nuff. There's no accounting for taste is there?  ;)
  • I'm curious what that sounds like, they have a (great) very specific sound, does the second one stacked lead to even more bass cut, high mids?
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 896
    I've just bought a 1981 SD-1, so it'll be interesting to try it / compare it with my more recent SD-1.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    clarkefan said:
    I'm curious what that sounds like, they have a (great) very specific sound, does the second one stacked lead to even more bass cut, high mids?
    Yes, and a pronounced 'overtone-y' sort of sound - not good (at least to me). I was A/B'ing a modded one with a stock one which is why I had both together, but the modded one wasn't really very different so I expect two stock ones would do the same.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited December 2017
    My ones that didn't like being stacked to well were of the mid humped variety...but here comes the contradiction. I did have till a few months ago a Visual Sound Double Trouble - which is just 2 TS's in one. And actually they stacked quite nice....you did have a bass boost switch that I usually added to one side as TS types are known for cutting bottom end off your sound...,it gave you some back. But still the middy hump characteristic of the TS didn't seem to be at all bad when I had that. Currently my main OD pedal is the mk 1 Dano TOD, and I stack this with an OD-3 or the Caline Pure Sky which is like the Dano another Timmy clone...allegedly.
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1747

I'll be intruiged what it sounds like after reading this - however the 2nd SD-1 will simply be used just to boost the volume for solos - so far it's stacked well with a clone and a BD2.

If it doesn't work i'll look at something else as I bagged the SD-1 for less than £20 delivered - which frankly is a bargain for such a brilliant pedal. Hell I might even mod it !

• I stack SD-1 into a DS-1 into a clean amp and it works great for me :)
  • I don't think 2 of the same pedal is mad if it sounds good, but why not a Boss-sized Klone? Something like the Fredric Golden Eagle.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I stack SD-1 into a DS-1 into a clean amp and it works great for me :)
    It's an absolutely brilliant combination for anything hard-rock/metal oriented - it's like a false harmonic generator :). The interesting thing is that if you have both pedals set for 'just slightly more than unity volume' to each give a moderate crunch overdrive and a heavier distortion, turning on both at the same time *still* boosts volume above that of the DS-1, which is very useful as your full-on solo sound.

I've never actually tried stacking the DS-1 with the BD-2, that's the only unknown factor. (And in which order.)