Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why are most houses so badly designed?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• RockerRocker Frets: 4984
    Rocker said:
    @Bucket, any staircase, especially a spiral staircase, that has no handrail is an accident waiting to happen. Very poor design.
    That rules out most castles, then.

I'd quite like a castle ...

Point taken but you are not looking at it as it was. People live longer these times, hence the likelihood that older and infirm people, maybe yourself, will live in such houses. A handrail is essential for every stairs for that reason.

@Bucket, one of the Grand Design programmes featured a house with vast amounts of glass. Like one of the pics you included. The usual architects BS about bringing the garden into the house, to appreciate the view etc. When Kevin went back a few months later, the owners had installed a large wood burning (aka solid fuel) stove in the room. Obviously the room could not be heated any other way. People have to live in their house. People need privacy to relax. Glass does not provide any privacy and is thermally inefficient. Inefficient when compared to a decently insulated wall. I know which one I prefer living it. Hint: it is not the large area of glass....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16681
    Rocker said:
       When Kevin went back a few months later, the owners had installed a large wood burning (aka solid fuel) stove in the room. Obviously the room could not be heated any other way. People have to live in their house. People need privacy to relax. Glass does not provide any privacy and is thermally inefficient. Inefficient when compared to a decently insulated wall. I know which one I prefer living it. Hint: it is not the large area of glass....

most people installing a log burner are doing it because they like the idea of having a log burner.   the fact they added a log burner only tells you that they wanted a log burner

modern glass and insulation in that kind of build makes up for the issues of heat loss, but can't be done cheaply.   you certainly wouldn't want the housing companies trying that style on a budget, but grand designs is normally the opposite of that approach.

my daughters school is a new build with full height windows over 2 floors and its always roasting hot.   Not a log burner in sight

I take the privacy point, but it totally depends what the window is facing.

• Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    If one is an exhibitionist, one might like lots of glazing.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• Ro_S said:
    If one is an exhibitionist, one might like lots of glazing.
    Or if there's nobody about and the views over the countryside are good
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    they're a bitch to hang pictures on.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuego said:
    they're a bitch to hang pictures on.
    if the countryside views are good you won't be needing pictures
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself