Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Wikipedia fund request

What's Hot
"To all our readers in the UK, We will get straight to the point: This Wednesday we ask you to protect Wikipedia's independence. It's December 6 and time is running out to help in 2017. We depend on donations averaging about £10. Only a tiny portion of our readers give. If everyone reading this gave £2, we could keep Wikipedia thriving for years to come. The price of your Wednesday coffee is all we need. When I made Wikipedia a non-profit, people warned me I’d regret it. Over a decade later, it’s the only top ten site run by a non-profit and a community of volunteers. Has it crossed my mind how much we could have made if it had ads? Sure. But we wouldn’t be able to trust it. The heart and soul of Wikipedia is a community of people working passionately to bring you unlimited access to reliable, neutral information. Please help keep Wikipedia growing. Thank you. — Jimmy Wales, Wikipedia Founder"

I don't drink coffee...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I don't use it... I'm a teacher, it's the enemy of hard work! Let it die I say!  ;) 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    edited December 2017
    It doesn't say: pay us instead of paying for your Wednesday coffee. It's the 'amount of money' that said coffee costs. 

(Which of course varies greatly).
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • "To all our readers in the UK, We will get straight to the point: This Wednesday we ask you to protect Wikipedia's independence. It's December 6 and time is running out to help in 2017. We depend on donations averaging about £10. Only a tiny portion of our readers give. If everyone reading this gave £2, we could keep Wikipedia thriving for years to come. The price of your Wednesday coffee is all we need. When I made Wikipedia a non-profit, people warned me I’d regret it. Over a decade later, it’s the only top ten site run by a non-profit and a community of volunteers. Has it crossed my mind how much we could have made if it had ads? Sure. But we wouldn’t be able to trust it. The heart and soul of Wikipedia is a community of people working passionately to bring you unlimited access to reliable, neutral information. Please help keep Wikipedia growing. Thank you. — Jimmy Wales, Wikipedia Founder"

I don't drink coffee...
    I do, just never on a Wednesday
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    I consider myself sufficiently well informed without having to consult Wikipedia. 
    Whales has some nerve, begging for money, while he's living it up at the Ecuadorian embassy.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6149
    edited December 2017 tFB Trader
    I donate a little every year. I used it on my Masters as a first pass to read in broad terms about a subject. Since then I still use it every week at least and sometimes lose whole evenings falling down a rabbit hole of topic reading. so £5 is worth it to me for the entertainment alone.

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't mind donating a little now and then. It helps me find out about stuff.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    I just ask the woman, they seem to think they know everything. 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7032
    tFB Trader
    I've given in the past but I believe that they are very well funded and don't actually need our cash.

I met Jimmy Wales once, nice guy.
  • I have donated.  i use Wiki a lot both personal use and at work (often how different drugs interact).  I find the information well presented and easy to understand quickly so great for getting up to speed on something quickly.  I dont care how well funded they are they provide a valuable product that I am happy to part with a couple fo quid every now and again to get an advert free service.  I do the same here for similar reasons.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    I donate something - usually a fiver, £2 seems too little and a tenner too much for some reason - when they ask, which seems to be about once a year. It's definitely not the fount of all knowledge, but I find it very useful, and I'd rather it stayed ad-free.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    I love wiki. It's important to keep it alive.
    It's not perfect but it's bloody handy.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    I gave up coffee so does that make me exempt?

To be honest, I only use the site as it is often forced to the top of searches. I don't particularly care where I get my info from and I don't plan to pay whilst it is free info elsewhere. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11901
    I chip in
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited December 2017

It's that time of year again. As the Christmas lights go up, Wikipedia's donation drive kicks off. Wikipedia claims that the donations are needed to keep the site online. Guilt-tripped journalists including Heather Brooke and Toby Young have contributed to Wikipedia in the belief that donations help fund operating costs. Students, who are already heavily in debt, are urged to donate in case Wikipedia "disappears".

But what Wikipedia doesn't tell us is that it is awash with cash - and raises far more money each year than it needs to keep operating.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/12/20/cash_rich_wikipedia_chugging/

I have done quite a bit of editing (and created a few pages!) in the past, but don't donate money.
  • I chipped in once.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7876
    It’s a dodgy info source,unreliable and full of bull crap.

I wouldn’t give them a penny 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • quarky said:

It's that time of year again. As the Christmas lights go up, Wikipedia's donation drive kicks off. Wikipedia claims that the donations are needed to keep the site online. Guilt-tripped journalists including Heather Brooke and Toby Young have contributed to Wikipedia in the belief that donations help fund operating costs. Students, who are already heavily in debt, are urged to donate in case Wikipedia "disappears".

But what Wikipedia doesn't tell us is that it is awash with cash - and raises far more money each year than it needs to keep operating.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/12/20/cash_rich_wikipedia_chugging/

I have done quite a bit of editing (and created a few pages!) in the past, but don't donate money.
    That's an interesting read. 

I don't respond well to begging emails / pop ups or phone calls. I tend to support local causes of my choosing, either by donating or more often volunteering. I find the bigger ones wasteful and dodgy 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Won't get any support from me. The times I have taken to add hard and qualified actual fact to the site only for some arse to come along and remove it with a reason that shows they know Jack about the subject.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Won't get any support from me. The times I have taken to add hard and qualified actual fact to the site only for some arse to come along and remove it with a reason that shows they know Jack about the subject.
    My experience exactly.  I swear some topics are
    flagged.  Changes are reverted back to nonsense and inaccuracies in days, sometimes hours. 
  • TheMarlin said:
    It’s a dodgy info source,unreliable and full of bull crap.

I don’t think anything on the web can ever be 100% accurate, but furthermore depending on your world view, many people would think it’s completely wrong anyway.   For example, if you are a creationist ir conspiracist etc, it be the work of the devil or dark forces.   Or is it just the basic info on more mundane subjects as well?

Got to admit I’ve not challenged it in any great detail, but neither would I take everything as absolute truth, but I like it’s broadly scientific approach and in the age of David Wolfe, Info Wars, Food Babe, Natural News etc it’s far more open and logical.   At least it’s asking for money rather than back door advertising and being open to interigation.   But that’s a minefield in itself, I suppose. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom