Recommend a small pedalboard and some bass pedals

Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10438
I want to get my stepson a small pedal board and a tuner, plus maybe a drive pedal for distorted bass parts and one other pedal so there's 3 on it
Don't want to (haven't got) a fortune to spend on it though, maybe £120 or so is this do-able ?
www.2020studios.co.uk 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4040
    Mint Boss ODB-3 for £50 PPG if you think he'll like a crunch overdrive.  (Think Muse and that's the sound.)
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3313
    Have you considered something like a Zoom B3 instead? Good sounds and fx with a useful XLR DI.
  • Grunfeld said:
    Mint Boss ODB-3 for £50 PPG if you think he'll like a crunch overdrive.  (Think Muse and that's the sound.)
    If Danny isn’t interested let me know as that’s on my possibles for a bass mini board.

There are combined tuners and PSUs from Joyo and Harley Benton and Caline. The Caline one is very cheap but the HB one is about £50 off thomann  and ticks two boxes plus only takes up one space. 

Stagg pedalboards are fine, the £30 pedalcase is probably big enough. 

For my mini board I do have a spare pedalboard but that’s it so far! I do have a Digitech istomp I was going to use ( it’s a good delay or several other slightly mediocre things)but they haven’t updated the app to the latest iOS. Arse. However, if they do they should be cheap as chips. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I've got a little pedal train board with the velcro on it and a soft case - fits four or five pedals - I have spare tape etc - 

I dont use it so would be happy to sell for a very reasonable price?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72497
    The Zoom B3 is hard to beat for a neat bass pedalboard and should be within your budget second hand. You’re unlikely to get three *good* pedals and a board for as little as that, especially if it has to include a power supply. (I know you could make the board yourself.)

The only real reason I sold mine and went back to three Boss pedals in a BCB-3 is because I didn’t like the switching on the Zoom.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4040
    Grunfeld said:
    If Danny isn’t interested let me know as that’s on my possibles for a bass mini board.
    @EricTheWeary ; -- got that, will do.
  • I'd put in a strong vote for the Zoom B3 IF (and only if) it's his first experience with effects. It'll give him a chance to experiment with lots of different sounds and combinations and find what he really likes and then can buy individual pedals that sound better based on that. 

What kind of music is he into? I'm sure we can reverse engineer a small board from that. For eg if he's into Rage Against the machine I'd say Boss ODB-3 and a Bass Crybaby. Tight in that budget but doable with a bit of shopping around. 
    Full disclosure: I'm a terrible guitar player. Work for Reverb.com as their UK Marketing Director and prior to that was Head of Digital Marketing at Andertons for 6 years. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10438
    I'd put in a strong vote for the Zoom B3 IF (and only if) it's his first experience with effects. It'll give him a chance to experiment with lots of different sounds and combinations and find what he really likes and then can buy individual pedals that sound better based on that. 

What kind of music is he into? I'm sure we can reverse engineer a small board from that. For eg if he's into Rage Against the machine I'd say Boss ODB-3 and a Bass Crybaby. Tight in that budget but doable with a bit of shopping around. 
    It's kind of indie, reminds me of Franz Ferdinand, this is their first YT release, he's only 18 but has already done a lot of gigs including dep'ing for my semipro bands which cover stuff like Muse, hence thinking some dirt would be good

Tuner is essential as at present he's just tuning by ear 
    I forget to mention it's also a crimbo present so would prefer something new .... I might pull the trigger on a Zoom B3 at £200 new as you all seem to think it's a good unit for the price ..... bit more than I wanted to spend but sounds like it might be worth it 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • The B3n is the updated version and actually a bit cheaper ( £159 IIRC). I've spotted new ( old stock) B3s for £129 so it shouldn't cost £200. 
  • Zoom B3
  • Yeah what is it with bassists and not using tuners haha.

His band sounds cool! Yeah I mean he's clearly no beginner so maybe just a TU-3 and ODB-3 would be a great starter to his collection, that he can then add to, and those two he'll probably always keep. You'd still be in budget buying those new, and I wouldn't worry about a pedal board or anything for just two pedals. Let him worry about that as he adds to it (if he wants to add to it) but that would be a really solid set up.
    Full disclosure: I'm a terrible guitar player. Work for Reverb.com as their UK Marketing Director and prior to that was Head of Digital Marketing at Andertons for 6 years. 
  • MrMusicMrMusic Frets: 44
    edited December 2017
    A second hand line6 M5 is always a good start to effects for a beginner as it does almost every effect. Also highly recommend a fuzz pedal rather than a drive/distortion pedal for bass, although they are kinda the same thing really. The electro harmonix big muffs are cheap and the new sovtek one sounds good.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3313
    As Erictheweary said re:Zoom B3/B3N pricing - the original one, the B3 I suggested can be picked up used for £80-100 and there's plenty in there for him to get his teeth into and it has a tuner and decent amp sims.
  • Kebabkid said:
    As Erictheweary said re:Zoom B3/B3N pricing - the original one, the B3 I suggested can be picked up used for £80-100 and there's plenty in there for him to get his teeth into and it has a tuner and decent amp sims.
    The new one, from a brief look, adds some more modelling but takes away the XLR out which seems like it might have been a useful feature. 
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    edited December 2017
    @Danny1969 ;;  -  check out the Electro-Harmonix Battalion ,   a nice all-in-one solution,

over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw