Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The best tone you've heard in person..

What's Hot

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    Strat54 said:

I've never worn earplugs, I started off going to gigs when I was 12 in 1980....PA's were huge then and bands were loud, the kind of loud where your ears were still ringing two days later. Did that whole heavy metal thing, Motorhead were one of the first bands I saw, by the early 90's it was Thrash, then Grunge. From the late 80's till about 2010 I was going to four gigs a week on average, always stood down the front. No one wore earplugs, it wasn't a consideration. back then. Didn't really notice it till about three years ago, went to a gig at Manchester Uni, suddenly realised I was surrounded by the iphone generation wearing plugs...wtf, It wasn't even loud...Gary Clark Jr. Everyone is so sensible these days.So I'm approaching 50 now, not deaf and not noticing a drop in hearing......you've dropped a fiver  
    @Exorcist loud music doesn't necessarily give you tinnitus....my mother suffered from that for many years until her death, she'd never been to a gig in her entire life nor worked in a loud...
    That’s just like those that say “my Granfather smoked all his life and he lived to a ripe old age, no cancer etc”.

Ok - congratulations. But all the medical research into this combined with first hand experience of hearing problems (my own tinnitus) and friends who genuinely have real problems tells me that yes you can be cavalier about this but the chances are that unless you look after yourself, you can cause damage. By the time you notice, it’s too late.

I’m not iPhone generation. But what is wrong with looking after yourself so that you don’t risk hurting yourself? 

Its your choice to ignore all the safety warnings. But don’t pour scorn on those who do.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    markj said:
    Joe Bonamassa.
    Dunno why someone LoL'd at this- say what you want, the bloke has astonishing tone.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3078
    edited December 2017
    I've had plugs for 4-5 years and got moulded ones after last year's Birmingham show. What I like is being able to hear the songs we play at the end of the set. I noticed I couldn't hear people talking in crowded places as well as before. I hope I've caught it in time. 

I'll add Rich Robinson to my killer tones list as he's always sounded great when I've seen him (with and without earplugs). A lot of guitar changes in a Crowes show but always has a good sound.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4701
    The two guitarists playing with Robert Plant last night at the RAH.  Couldn’t choose between them but, without a doubt, I’ve never heard better tone/s.

Or, come to that, sound.  That was the best sound I’ve ever heard there.  Very very loud but every note, every word, every nuance as clear as a bell.

And don’t ask me how tight they were. Fucking sensational.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • Early eighties,
     Alan Murphy, playing a Squier Strat, into a Fender Super Champ, slaved into a Sessionette 75
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    No one famous but the other guitarist in my old band played a tele straight into a JCM800 (boosted with an sd1 for solos) and it was he best tone I've ever heard. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    kt66 said:
    Peter Buck with REM Hammersmith Palais, in 2nd row right in front of his Mesa Boogie powered by a Mapleglo Rickenbacker 340, same set up and time as this
    What is that abomination Mike Mills is playing?! It sounds dreadful as well.

I always thought he used a Precision...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22930
    ICBM said:
    What is that abomination Mike Mills is playing?! It sounds dreadful as well.

I always thought he used a Precision...
    It just popped into my head from the headstock shape, but I think it's a Guild Pilot.  Could be wrong...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    edited December 2017
    Philly_Q said:

It just popped into my head from the headstock shape, but I think it's a Guild Pilot.  Could be wrong...
    Yes, just Googled it and it does appear to be - http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?191327-Mike-Mills-(REM)-1985-Guild-Pilot-bass

Even more oddly, some people there seem to think it's his best bass tone! Admittedly it is a Guild forum... :)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Gassage said:

335 - Jools Holland's big band guitarist.  Tasteful playing and nice woody sounds too.

Mark Flanagan. 1959 335 too. Incredible player.
    wis. I once said that as I also have a blonde 335 and a Bluesbreaker, I WANT HIS JOB! But I think he does his job way better than I could.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rlw said:
    The two guitarists playing with Robert Plant last night at the RAH.  Couldn’t choose between them but, without a doubt, I’ve never heard better tone/s.

Or, come to that, sound.  That was the best sound I’ve ever heard there.  Very very loud but every note, every word, every nuance as clear as a bell.

One of his guitarists, I think the one with the huge beard, used to be in the britpop band Cast.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    rlw said:

One of his guitarists, I think the one with the huge beard, used to be in the britpop band Cast.
    Still is, officially.

The other, Justin, owns possibly the best looking Goldtop in the World 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• My dyslexia read that as best tone you've heard in PRISON 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    Dave Gilmour in 80s when they done the wall at earls court ...just perfect ...
  • My dyslexia read that as best tone you've heard in PRISON 
    Carl Perkins on Johnny Cash at San  Quentin. Or B.B. King on Live at Cook County Jail. Hmmm...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3078
    edited December 2017
    I very much like the booing of the governor on Cook County Jail. Great album though.. I'll dig that out today.

I've heard some great tones on a secure unit but never a prison
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I very much like the booing of the governor on Cook County Jail. Great album though.. I'll dig that out today.

I've heard some great tones on a secure unit but never a prison
    Nearly forgot - we did a prison song. Unfortunately the video was made during my unemployed I can look like shit period but there ya go.

https://youtu.be/0NKkzTag4NM
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Nalle Colt - Vintage Trouble a Les Paul into a lazy J with an analogman fuzz on the first UK tour was something to behold!

Matt Schofield at the wardrobe in Leeds- tone for days

Marc 'fucking' Ford - the 3 or 4 night stint they did in London 10 years ago(?) His sound was just immense and influenced everything there after for me
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4701
    impmann said:
    rlw said:

Still is, officially.

The other, Justin, owns possibly the best looking Goldtop in the World 
    Possibly the best sounding too.............
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited December 2017
    veldt666 said:
    Early eighties,
     Alan Murphy, playing a Squier Strat, into a Fender Super Champ, slaved into a Sessionette 75
    I'll go with this, too and my experiences were from SFX being the Fender band at music shows and also watching him in the same band at The Oval Cricketers.

With the former, I literally attended all the shows they played that day after watching the first one and being absolutely floored. I'd never heard a Strat sound like that on both cleans and overdriven sounds. I also got to chat to him and he explained the set up =  Fender (Rivera) Super Champ, MXR Script Dynacomp, racked Roland Dimension D and SDE 3000 delay.

Jamie Moses (sessioner) - he used to play in a superb covers band around Surrey called Up All Night. Yet again a Strat into a Rivera-era Fender (can't remember the model but it was like a Boogie) and a couple of EHX pedals (Memory Man and Electric Mistress). Superb cleans and lead sounds from a very accomplished player.