Record player for under £100 ?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• @thumpingrug see this https://www.amptastic.com/ their little product is totally brilliant and will give pukka HiFi for only £130. Yes you need a half-decent set of speakers and all the other stuff you mentioned, but decent amplification really does come cheap on that site :)

Oh, that is quite nice, and sits with in that £100 - 150 level i mentioned.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    edited December 2017

Please please please DO NOT BUY THAT.  It will not sound good and will damage the records.  He will come away with a very poor sense of what is really possible and it may put him off a beautifully rich and rewarding listening experience forever.

A starting package is going to cost you £300-£350 minimum and then frankly skys the limit.   A turntable is no use without a proper hifi amp and a set of speakers.   

Project elemental  is the very basic starter turntable  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pro-Ject-Audio-Systems-Elemental-Turntable/dp/B01CZW7WFQ/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1512680529&sr=8-9&keywords=project+turntables

but you might get away with these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pioneer-PL-990-Turntable-Black/dp/B00005NDMR/ref=sr_1_63?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1512680687&sr=1-63&keywords=hifi+amplifier+with+phono+input

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TN100CH-Belt-drive-audio-turntable-Cherry/dp/B0163SU3WC/ref=sr_1_66?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1512680687&sr=1-66&keywords=hifi+amplifier+with+phono+input

Amp will be another £100-150 minimum and speakers, well these are £70 but again the price can just go up and up.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wharfedale-Diamond-Black-Standmount-Speakers/dp/B0017X6LJI/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1512680895&sr=1-2&keywords=hi+fi+speakers+pair
    As much as I appreciate that you get what you pay for none of the above is in my budget. My son is 13 so I am only looking for an introduction into vinyl. @LuttiS has a similar player - same make anyway - and seems to think that its ok.  Also on the whole it has decent feedback with the odd 1 star that is to be expected with mass produced gear from china (?).  
    Totally appreciate what your saying dude and your right for a 13 years old the sets ups we are suggesting might be a bit over the top.   However, I remember getting a HiFi system in my teens (early 80s), which had a built in record deck and for a while I thought it was OK.  However I then heard a decent separate system and realised I had only been hearing half the music that had been recorded.  Also the vinyl that was played on that system back then is now damaged and pops bangs and hisses in a  way that the records that were only played on the good system I bought when I started working a few years later do not.   An inferior system will be a toy rather than something he can listen to music on.  Your better off sticking to a CD player or MP3

• @thumpingrug I hear you loud and clear, like a record on a decent player! Think I might divert this purchase to when i have a better budget.

Thanks everyone for your input, much appreciated!!
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7876
    boogieman said:
    The Crossly ones seem to be the hipster’s deck of choice.  ;)
    It’s a heap of sh1t.  Get s Pro Ject Debut (used). You should find a decent one well under budget
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • You should find a decent one well under budget
    Any recommendations?
  • He meant a Pro Ject Debut (used).
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1771
    The guys who are saying to get a decent system are of course correct.
    But!
    If you're looking to get something fun and cool for your lad which might get him interested in music/vinyl then I'd say go for one of those briefcase type ones you linked to. Sound quality won't be brilliant through the in built speakers, but that turntable with a couple of old charity shop records (or reissues you can get in sainsburys etc) would be a great present, and it's not as if they're precious records he's going to damage on it. It will introduce him to the joy and "theatre" of putting on a record and having to turn it over half-way through (that his generation will never have experienced!!!), and if he wants to get in to it more then he can always upgrade later.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1771
    Sassafras said:
    And I had one of these:

Image result for fisher price record player
    I had one of those as a kid, my parents got it out the loft for my kids and it's amazing that it is actually a little working record player with a stylus etc (I guess like an old school music box). My parents then bought my son the new "vintage retro reissue" version of the same toy but it doesn't have a stylus, it just uses the different groove patterns, like you can see in the image above, to detect which record is on there and then plays that song with the wind up handle. Very disappointing :-( 
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4983
    I am with @thumpingrug on this one.  Even half decent second or third hand kit will cost a lot more than the budget mentioned by the OP.  I understand and applaud the OP for what he is trying to achieve but unless he gets a lot of kit for free from a friend who is into hi-fi, it would be better to get a good MP3 player or a CD player for that kind of money.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12370
    TheMarlin said:
    boogieman said:
    It’s a heap of sh1t.  Get s Pro Ject Debut (used). You should find a decent one well under budget
    Yeah I know they’re not great. As it was a low budget spend and for a kid, I assumed the OP was talking about an all in one box record player, not a record deck that needed separate amp and speakers. The Crossly one fits that bill. 
  • boogieman said:
    TheMarlin said:
    boogieman said:
    Yeah I know they’re not great. As it was a low budget spend and for a kid, I assumed the OP was talking about an all in one box record player, not a record deck that needed separate amp and speakers. The Crossly one fits that bill. 
    You assumed correctly  ;)
  • BigMonka said:
    The guys who are saying to get a decent system are of course correct.
    But!
    If you're looking to get something fun and cool for your lad which might get him interested in music/vinyl then I'd say go for one of those briefcase type ones you linked to. Sound quality won't be brilliant through the in built speakers, but that turntable with a couple of old charity shop records (or reissues you can get in sainsburys etc) would be a great present, and it's not as if they're precious records he's going to damage on it. It will introduce him to the joy and "theatre" of putting on a record and having to turn it over half-way through (that his generation will never have experienced!!!), and if he wants to get in to it more then he can always upgrade later.
    This was exactly what I was after!  Nothing serious, but if he does get into it then we can cross that bridge ...
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    As much as I agree with everything said about low end tuntables I have one of these that I was going to put on Ebay if it`s of any interest?

I bought it to play my loft records and paired it with a Bose, it was ok but as someone who grew up with vinyl it only inspired me to box it back up and buy a whole new set up. For someone new to vinyl the experience as mentioned will be enough to keep them happy (maybe).

I certainly wouldn`t expect great sound from any of the cheap turntables, tbh.

https://www.superfi.co.uk/p-17046-ion-air-lp-usb-bluetooth-turntable.aspx