Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

eBay Content: Grandad's Strat(s)

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    All seems very iffy and if you do a Google image search this comes up - 2nd pic down. When you look at the same pic on the ebay ad you can see to the right of the guitar where the text "vintageoneguitars.com" has been crudely covered up, you can still make out a faint "com".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Octafish said:
    All seems very iffy and if you do a Google image search this comes up - 2nd pic down. When you look at the same pic on the ebay ad you can see to the right of the guitar where the text "vintageoneguitars.com" has been crudely covered up, you can still make out a faint "com".
    Hercule Octafish ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Def the same image - booom
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Great detective work! I just found matching pictures of the 56.
    http://www.swingmusic.net/1956_Fender_Stratocaster.html
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I am pretty sure these are scams

but if you followed the sale of my old seemingly collectible  911. It was up and down like a whores draws.  

It would seem criminal types have or had away of ending an auction then claiming they were the highest bidder. Then threatening the seller with legal action if they did not accept their bid as legal and contractually binding I had several hours with EBay security who were totally tight lipped and would obviously confirm or deny nothing other than placate me that this would affect my eBay standing it took 3 listings before they shut that off but made the sale look very dodgy.

also had the crims firing off legal letters to release the goods paid for then got our phone numbers and address and threatened to send the boys round to collect property legally there’s. Blah blah scared the mrs to the point where I promised I would not be so stupid to list anything of that value again on eBay.

all the way through eBay would never admit they could finish an auction but they had a way. This was 4 Year’s ago so think they hav3 closed that loophole or got the inside man.

but still made for a doggy listing
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72474
    Octafish said:
    Bingo. Well found .

Great detective work! I just found matching pictures of the 56.
    Ditto. You'll also see that the pics have been deliberately doctored, most obviously by making the carpet blue - but the pics of the guitar are clearly the same pics, not the same guitar photographed in a different place.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bgmartinsbridgebgmartinsbridge Frets: 2864
    edited December 2017
    https://imgur.com/gallery/wPVhX

Just checking through old guitar mags and came across issue 2 total guitar from 1995!!

Check out the vintage guitar prices at Music Ground...

• https://imgur.com/gallery/wPVhX

Just checking through old guitar mags and came across issue 2 total guitar from 1995!!

It’s amazing what they could charge for a forgery in those days!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Octafish said:
    Bingo. Well found .

Ditto. You'll also see that the pics have been deliberately doctored, most obviously by making the carpet blue - but the pics of the guitar are clearly the same pics, not the same guitar photographed in a different place.
    I assume someone obtained the 64 pic from www.vintageoneguitars.com at some point in the past? There's no sign of the guitar on their website and the one in the link I posted is too low resolution. Makes me wonder if there's a business in harvesting pics of collectible high value items to sell on as 'scamming packs' to other scammers?
    https://imgur.com/gallery/wPVhX

That's funny, I too was looking at early 90s copies of Guitar Magazine the other day and noticed Pre-CBS Fenders up for £1500-£2000, then saw the ad was for Music Ground :s
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Ok... assuming that these listings are scams... and it does look that way...

How does it work? Surely no one is going to fork out that sort of dosh without actually seeing the guitar first... and if someone goes to see that guitar before the listing ends I’m guessing they will do the deal outside of eBay!.

so how are the scammers getting paid here?... 

• ^^ they'll be hoping someone bank transfers them the money - as the would be buyer will be offered the guitar(s) at a great unmissable price.............and the scammers would then post the guitars to the new buyer - and obviously will never arrive.........the scammers are just fishing with the ebay auctions
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    poopot said:

How does it work? Surely no one is going to fork out that sort of dosh without actually seeing the guitar first... and if someone goes to see that guitar before the listing ends I’m guessing they will do the deal outside of eBay!.

I've mentioned this before but I think it would be interesting to get a face-to-face deal set up and see what unfolds...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72474
    poopot said:

I expect they’re going to ask for something like a bank transfer or Paypal Gift as a deposit to ‘secure’ the deal - from a hijacked account, it will be difficult to trace - and then disappear.

They’re relying on the sort of people who wet themselves whenever something like this pops up from an apparently ‘non trade’ source with a back story involving dead relatives...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    edited December 2017
    Very dodgy...

Armed with those pictures it's very easy to see what a shit job has been made doctoring them to those that are in the listing.

Wouldn't touch it with  a bargepole - but then again I wouldn't spend that amount of money on a guitar on eBay!
    We are all Chameleons...
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6840
    edited December 2017 tFB Trader
    How much did you bid then @Gassage ;;?!
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    I don't care how dodgy it seems, he got me reeled in when he listed "Volume Knob" under the "Features" section.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30929
    miserneil said:
    How much did you bid then @Gassage ;;?!
    Not me...my mate.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22988
    Slightly off-topic, but I saw these two Tokai Flying Vs on eBay yesterday.

The first is currently listed at a rather optimistic $2,150.  The second has already "sold" for $455.  

Somebody is going to be disappointed....

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom