Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Preferred Strings Folks

What's Hot
Just a feeler what's your preferred strings and gauges for Electric Guitar.
I'm newish to Electric and have just purchased a second hand Epiphone Prophecy plus Les Paul for  £200 with a Hard Case absolute bargain...strings fine at the moment but just wondering what strings folks are using and why....probably a stupid question as it's personal choice but just curious cheers Bob 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14305
    tFB Trader
    Ernie Ball and D'addario by a huge distance are my biggest sellers - new formats/materials come along by both companies - But the big sellers are still the nickel wound Slinkies for Ernie ball and D'addario nickel wound with their XL sets

As far as string gauge goes I nearly sell 2 to 1 ratio of 10-46 as against 9-42

I'd try 10-46 on your LP and take it from there - to light then next time try 11-49 - to heavy then try 9-46 or 9-42 - You have to try them to see which suits you, your guitar and playing style
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ClashmanClashman Frets: 176
    Myself Ernie Balls or Martin
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Almost invariably 10-46 for me.  Tried 11s and they felt like steel hawsers.  Not fussy about brand: Ernie Ball seem ubiquitous; got a good deal on a job lot of Gibson Brite Wires on Amazon so for now they're the string du choix.

In fact they're still up for grabs: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008ZC9PV0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

£17 for 5 sets seems pretty good to me!

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72485
    11s. D'Addarios of the more common brands, although I also like DRs and Newtones.

Plain G on more 'solidbody' guitars, wound G on more 'semi-acoustic' ones usually - it just seems to suit the different sounds better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9697
    D'addario for me. Used to use EBs until I found that D'addarios sound new for longer. I use 9-42, or 10-46 depending on the guitar.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Daddario 11 guage in everything
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    edited December 2017
    D’Addario on guitar, acoustic, and bass.

Regular nickels on guitar, phosphor bronze on acoustic, and nickel or pro steel depending on the bass. String gauge by tuning
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I use D'addario but used to use Ernie Ball. I can't remember why I switched, I assume it wasn't just on a whim but can't be sure.

I like 10-46. Recently tried going down to 9-42 thinking it would be easier on my fingers and easy to bend but I didn't like the feel or the sound.
  • Daddarios are standard for me
    Blue steels if a guitar needs more bite
  • DaiCappDaiCapp Frets: 135
    D'Addario XL 10's for me. Tried a few different ones over the years but come back to these...
  • Currently using Rotosounds because, well, they're cheap, and seem to last OK.  Bear in mind they're UK-made, so you're not paying the import costs compared with the big two (D'Addario and Ernie Ball).

As for gauges, 10-46 is pretty standard on a Les Paul scale.  If you're a new player, though, you might prefer a little less tension to start with; 9-42 would probably be a bit floppy, but D'Addario do 'half-gauges' (9.5-44) which might be worth a look.  Alternatively, 'top-wrapping' the tailpiece is supposed to lessen the tension slightly (but I've never done a direct comparison).

One last thing - keep a cloth in your case or on the stand, and wipe the strings down when you finish playing.  Cleaning the sweat and grease off the strings will help them last longer.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• Ernie Balls for a long time. Had a brief stint with D'addario for a while but prefer Ernie's as they seem brighter. Means changing a bit more often but I don't mind too much. I use 3 different gauges, 10-46's in standard, 10-52's in drop d and 12-56's in drop c.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    edited December 2017
    I use D'Addario 9-42 EXL120 generally. Gibson Brite Wires are good, too. Lately I've been trying out Fender strings on my Tele. Quite like these as well. Will try D'Addario 10-46 EXL110 on the Tele soon.
  • D’Addarios on electrics - 9s on 25.5 scale lengths, 10s on Gibson. Martin Mediums on acoustics.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4726
    D'addario EXL120 Nickel wound super light gauge 009-042
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    D’addario 9 - 46    I prefer the heavier bottom strings. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Daddarios for years now.
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    Daddario here too

10-46 on Fender
    11-49 on Gibson

12-53/54 on acoustic
  • D'addario 11-49 on Gibson, 10-46 on Fender. I like 13's  on acoustic. 
  • neilgneilg Frets: 94
    edited December 2017
    I used to use Ernie Balls and tried Elixiers a few years ago but didn't get on with them so went back to what I'd always been using, earlier this year I decided to try D'Addario NYXL's and haven't looked back since.

When it comes to guage I always use 9 -42, I've tried 10-46 but wasn't keen.