Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Who uses 11s on a Tele?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• 11s on both my Tele and my ES-339, and I like the action quite high. I like to feel like I'm wrestling the sound out of my guitars ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    There's a rumour that Andy Summers use 11s on his Tele but no-one's managed to get a straight answer out of him without him going ballistic and attacking the interviewer with a rusty breadknife.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Update: I put 11s on the Tele and it was the best decision ever. 
  • I am a D'Addario user. Have been for years. I always found Ernie Balls to be too slinky. As I was playing Gordon-Smith and Gibson Guitars, when I decided it necessary to rest ring my Peavey Rockingham I opened to use EB instead of changing the gauge and it worked fine.
  • Always.

Used EB Powers for years when I was gigging regularly, but lately have been trying out some D'Addario sets...the balanced tension EXL115BT set (11-50) are working out very nice on my main Tele, and the 115W set are brilliant on Ric 6s.  
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • I've used Ernie Ball 2215 Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52s on my Strats and Teles for many years now. The y just seem to work best for me.

"When the train, it left the station, there was two lights on behind,
    Well, the blue light was my baby, and the red light was my mind.”
    Robert Johnson
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 559
    11's on a Telecaster and a Stratocaster  . . . . these days anyway . . . 10's on a Lester :-) but everyone has a preference so there's no right and no wrong really . . . I've always gone with Ernie Ball Power Slinky at 11-48 . . . 
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I have 9s on everything. It's a MAJOR risk to my guitar playing to go up so I would never consider it. I've had BIG probs in the past with my 'bending' nails separating from the nail bed, causing unbelievable pain and rendering playing nigh on impossible for weeks at a time. Been 'stable' for a few years thank goodness.
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    IMHO the greatest guitarist who ever picked up a Telecaster was Mick Green and he used monster strings, most believe the top E was 16 guage.  

I don't know these days but certainly back in the 70's there was a fashion for replacing the wound third on a heavy set of strings with a second B string.  Pete Townshend among others did this.  Not Mick Green.  He could do all that string bending with the standard set.  He didn't detune either  eg like Stevie Ray Vaughn  grrrrr....  

The only other guitarist I've heard of using strings this heavy is Mike Henderson and he has a super distinctive sound too, albeit in open tuning.  

• 11's on an Esquire user here. The resonant qualities associated with heavier strings are even more apparent when combined with the pre-existing twang.  B)
    Only way to feel the noise is when it's good and loud!