Preamp pedal

What's Hot
longshinslongshins Frets: 246
edited December 2017 in FX
Ok, I’ve been toying around with solutions for getting a decent sound to the PA at medium sized venues where the amp on it’s own isn’t enough. I want to keep using my valve amps on stage and get a consistent feed to the PA,  reactive load boxes with decent outs cost loads so how about this... a Marshall voiced preamp pedal I can stick at the end of my pedal board with a 1/4 inch through jack to go to my lovely valve backline line and an xlr emulated speaker out to go to the PA? I’d like to keep things analog if possible, I’ve been gigging a line 6 rig for ages now and I’m sick of it. Any pointers or recommendations? Thanks.

just found the Radial direct drive which looks cool...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Radial Tone Bone Hot British was a Tube Preamp pedal, power maybe a pain though. The Amptweaker Big Rock or Big Rock Pro, maybe. Then theres the Two Notes preamp pedals.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30931
    Effectrode Blackbird, Kingsley Jester and this

http://frogpedals.com/index.php/product/frog-tube-preamp-fx1/

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Thanks! Forgot about Kingsley. What are your opinions on these? Or should I just get a simple load box, mic up my cab and stop trying to complicate things?
    longshins said:
    Thanks! Forgot about Kingsley. What are your opinions on these? Or should I just get a simple load box, mic up my cab and stop trying to complicate things?
    Phenomenal.

The Blackbird is equally as good too. I have one and it's bloody stunning. Bit cheaper too.

• One thing I want is simultaneously a dry unaffected signal to my backline then the preamp units effected tone to the PA (via xlr ideally for simplicity’s sake) there’s tons of preamp pedals out there but struggling to find many that do this, unless I’m missing an easy solution?
    longshins said:
    One thing I want is simultaneously a dry unaffected signal to my backline then the preamp units effected tone to the PA (via xlr ideally for simplicity’s sake) there’s tons of preamp pedals out there but struggling to find many that do this, unless I’m missing an easy solution?
    Annoyingly, I had a Pete Cornish Rack Unit that would do this that I flogged this year.

Have a look at the Radial Rack units on their site - in my mind I'm 99% sure they've got one that does this. Also check Palmer's site.

• Didn’t I spot you selling a Palmer attenuator Gassage?
  • I think you'll struggle to find many guitar preamps with a direct through - although you could use a splitter box to achieve this.

A bit different to what you're envisioning at the moment but how about the CabZeus cab emulator? Digital, admittedly, but will go between your amp and cab and give you a speaker emulated out to the PA while allowing the signal through to your speaker for on stage. And not too pricey.
    longshins said:
    Didn’t I spot you selling a Palmer attenuator Gassage?
    Sold. Superb though.

• I don't like it all that much (and as such am hoping to sell it) but the Mesa V Twin would probably work tonally, it has amp, headphone and mixer outputs (with speaker sim where appropriate, albeit no xlr) but you'd need some kind of any splitter pedal or a reamp box to get the "direct through".

I had a Kingsley Squire which was OK ish but wouldn't be a good fit as it's the wrong voice and is not emulated out, but their stuff is generally well thought of so maybe one of their other efforts would work too
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271
    longshins said:
    One thing I want is simultaneously a dry unaffected signal to my backline then the preamp units effected tone to the PA (via xlr ideally for simplicity’s sake) there’s tons of preamp pedals out there but struggling to find many that do this, unless I’m missing an easy solution?
    The Koch preamp pedals might do that for you?
    http://www.koch-amps.com/product-guitar-pedal-preamps-superlead.html

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timbuk02 said:
    longshins said:
    The Koch preamp pedals might do that for you?
    http://www.koch-amps.com/product-guitar-pedal-preamps-superlead.html

I can’t have a big purple Koch on my board. Sorry.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72497
    Mesa V-Twin, if you don't mind using a separate DI box. (Which many soundmen prefer anyway - they like to use their one.)

Ignore the name, it's much more 'Marshall' sounding than you would expect. There is a reason for this... the circuit is nicked from the JMP-1 rack preamp, without the MIDI and digital control :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2909
    Cheap splitter/aby box and one of them mooer preamp pedals should do it shouldn't it?
  • TTBZ said:
    Cheap splitter/aby box and one of them mooer preamp pedals should do it shouldn't it?
    Yup it would, but my line 6 rig does the job also. I want something a bit more snobby/old skool to be honest.
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271
    I want something a bit more snobby/old skool to be honest.
    Admittedly when I saw the Koch in the video it was not the scale imagined!

Have you seen the ShiftLine pedals?

• Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    something by the Sansamp co.?
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• Session JD-10
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Worth looking at some of the AMT preamps. A few of them have got send/return jacks.
    I've got the F-! and it replaced my Sansamp GT-2.