Yamaha Silent Guitar... Anyone Played One ?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• @Alnico I reckon on budget guitars it's just the usual reasons. Serious classical guitar players are quite obsessed with tone and perform unamplified so high action helps with volume and projection.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    edited December 2017
    Also, nylon strings have less tension and vibrate more freely, so need more room to do so. Your tone would be a bit shit if all you could hear is the strings slapping against the frets. However, if u want a traditional nylon string with a low action then buy a flamenco guitar, they need the speed, so go for a much lower action.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ok, I played one today - well two actually, steel and nylon string...

They sound a lot better than they play imho. In fact, the sound is superb - it really is good especially the 'modelled' side of the acoustic. I play it through a Fishman Loudbox (mini ?).

The actual action was a bit high for me liking, and it was stiff to play... but as I said, beautiful sounding.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    @Alnico I reckon on budget guitars it's just the usual reasons. Serious classical guitar players are quite obsessed with tone and perform unamplified so high action helps with volume and projection.

Also, nylon strings have less tension and vibrate more freely, so need more room to do so. Your tone would be a bit shit if all you could hear is the strings slapping against the frets. However, if u want a traditional nylon string with a low action then buy a flamenco guitar, they need the speed, so go for a much lower action.
    Thanks Guys.
    I guess that clears it up a bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom